TIB to VMWare

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by innu, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innu

innu Registered Member

Hi All,

First of all let me clarify, I have read similar posts already posted but either its not matching my case or its not been answered. So instead of joining the wagon i have started a fresh thread. I hope the Mod will not delete this. :)

I am running 3 Windows 2003 virtual m/c under VMWare ESX server.

I have taken the backups of both the virtual m/c from ESX s erver using Acronis TrueImage server 9.1.

The backup is in the form of TIB extension. I was wondering how do i convert this TIB extension to a VMWare disk image (in case the Virtual m/c gets corrupted).

Please help me with it.

Thanks

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi innu, I would restore the Acronis image inside a virtual machine then use P2V.

3. innu

innu Registered Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Could you please brief me the procedure how to do it.

Thanks again

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi, I notice the thread started at the same time on the VMTN Discussion Forums.:)

5. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

simple mount iso of acronis resque disc. boot from it. restore the image in the vmware machine. done

simpel.

with universal restore you can also restore a physical machines tib in vmware...

;-)

6. innu

innu Registered Member

Hey guys,

thanks for all your help, let me try it and i will post it here the results.

Cheers

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello innu,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that .tib file format is completely different from the one VMWare uses to store its virtual hard disks data. Therefore, it cannot be directly converted. However, you may use any standard procedure of restoring an image to a new computer. You can do as jeremyotten suggested; or install Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows on the virtual machine and access the image via network/mounting an ISO containing the image; or any other restore procedure described in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. innu

innu Registered Member

I am in the process of testing this solution that you have provided and I am 100% confident that its going to work.

Its good to see that its actually possible to use TIB in VMWare. This solution will provide us with maximum redundancy.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers
    Innu

9. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Acronis FULL Circle which will come in a month or so will cut that time in Half ;-)

10. innu

innu Registered Member

Ya Jereme...I hear you.
    But some things take time, I know its one month old question but not posting update makes it useless for other members who would be looking for similar solution right

:thumb:
    Innu

11. innu

innu Registered Member

Success !!!

This is what I did. The procedure is same for P2V & V2V

a) Install Acronis TrueImage on the Virtual m/c
    b) Install Acronis Universal restore on the same Virtual m/c. Make an ISO image and copy it in CD/DVD.
    c) Make the full backup, to give you TIB file. Store this file in some network location or external USB HDD.
    d) On the VMWare ESX server, create the VM.
    e) After that put the CD/DVD in the ESX servers drive and boot from it (You might have to change the BIOS settings of the VM , Press F2 while VM is booting).
    f) Select the Recovery option
    g) Select "Restore Disks or partitions"
    h) Select the drive and then the target partition (on new VM)
    i) Select partition type as "Active"
    j)If you are only restoring 1 partition you can use the maximum partition size (space needed for MBR). If you have multiple partition/drives to restore you need to adjust for desired results but you cannot choose less than minimum partition
    Select "Yes" option
    k)Select "Universal restore" optin
    l) Next you have to install the ESX serve specific drivers, which you have to download before itself for your OS platform and store it in some network location or external HDD, then you can select the drivers and install it.

Finally you will be presented with a summary page, click on proceed.

Cheers !!
    Innu :D :thumb:

12. fitzie22

fitzie22 Registered Member

Hey Innu. I do it a little different but have gotten successful results but only with esx 2.5.3 are you doing this with? if yes where did you get the LSI driver

Thanks
    Dan

13. innu

innu Registered Member

Infact my esx ver is 2.5.2 (lower than yours), but i wasnt aware of any other procedure to achieve this result. I am running this esx in HP DL 380 G4 server.

I downloaded the drivers fro win2k3 & win2k from VMWare site, if you cant find it there, then let me know ur mail id, i will zip and send across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.