TI9 VS TI8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ed_H, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have used TI 8 for a couple of years and it has save me more than a few times. It seems that TI 9 has been pretty stable for a while now and I was trying to figure out if the upgrade is worth it. I don't need to backup to DVD's. Any comments are welcome. Thanks

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I've only use TI 9 but IIRC you get along with the "immature" DVD stuff, Files and Folders backups, you can specify to validate the archive right after backing up, ability to restore the MBR from a single partition image rather than having to do a whole disk image. With the MBR restore you have to make sure you have the same number of partitions on the destination disk although they don't have to be the original size. There is also newer HW support.

If you are happy with V8 do you really need to go to V9; after all, is V10 far away?

3. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

There are quite a few very good options between v.8 & 9 as seekforever explains. The File & Folder ability for data partitions is very useful and the ability to backup the active partition only and have the MBR saved is great. The DVD backup is useful if you need it, I don't, but the other two main differences are enough to upgrade in my opinion.

As to the issue of version 10, I would hope it will be quite a while. There will be another v.9 issued with some present quirky issues fixed that cause the few bugs at present, this is what I predict.

God help us is there is a v.10 issued before another v.9. It will then be deja vu for the next 10 months as it has been with v.9. Just give us one more really 'fixed' version 9 with all present 'buggy' issues solved. Then let the Acronis system engineers do their own testing for some months, or years, before any new issue of v.10, please.

Allen

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ffreedom01,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that alone with the ability to back up separate files/folders, restore only the MBR (Master Boot Record) from the image of the entire hard drive or partition and the ability to store the image archives to the DVD discs without using any third-party software Acronis True Image 9.0 Home has some more new features:

- Now when backing up to removable media (CD or DVD discs) using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home you can make this media bootable by writing to it additional components. Thus, you will not need a separate rescue disk. You can place Acronis One-Click Restore or standalone version of Acronis True Image on the media. You can find the detailed instructions in Chapter 6.3.9 "Media components" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

- New Acronis Bootable Media Builder provides the ability to create an ISO image of a bootable disk on the hard disk. Also if you have other Acronis products, such as Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, installed on your computer, you can include standalone versions of these programs on the same bootable disk as well.

- Using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home you can mount the image archive of the partition in Read/Write mode. In this case the program assumes that the connected image will be modified, and creates an incremental archive file to capture the changes. Please check Chapter 11. "Mounting an image as a virtual drive" for details.

- Acronis True Image 9.0 Home allows you to restore separate files/folders from the image archive. Acronis True Image 8.0 can do so only in Windows mode with help of "Plug Image" tool. Now you can restore separate files/folders when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD as well. Please check Chapter 6.2 "Restoring files and folders from file archives".

- With Acronis True Image 9.0 Home you can specify commands or batch files to be automatically executed before and after the backup procedure. For example, you may want to remove some tmp files from the disk before starting backup or configure a third-party antivirus product to be started each time before the backup starts. Check Chapter 5.3.3 "Pre/post commands"

We also recommend that you take a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page, Acronis Public Knowledge Base and this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage.

You could download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer.

If you would like to order your software before the trial period ends, please visit the Acronis online store.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.