TI9 vs Norton Ghost

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by LegolasFett, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LegolasFett

LegolasFett Registered Member

I work for a company and the goal for TI (workstation) will be backing up a laptop to a network share then the network share uploading it to the main server. We want it to be automated, but not scheduled. I have made a batch file that does it perfectly, except for the amount of time it takes. I am unsure on how much data will be backed up from each laptop, but I do know that when tested on my boss' laptop it took around two hours for 50GB backup. From the HD->the same HD or from the HD->To a Network share. Since this will cause the employees who will be using the backup to not be able to really use the laptop for that time frame this is rather a big setback. Granted it will only have to be the full backups and not the differential/incremental ones, we would still do a full backup about once a month.

We have not tested Ghost yet and I hope this kind of post is allowed here, I am not sure where to ask this exactly, sorry if this kind of topic is taboo.

The main questions I have about Ghost are:
    1. Does it allow for simple batch files to be made?
    2. Is it faster than TI 9 build 3534?
    3. Does it support differential backups via batch files?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide on this subject. Again, I hope this kind of topic is not taboo on this forum I just want to make sure my company and in turn myself makes the right choice

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Since this is a comparison thread and not a support issue as such, I have moved it to the "software & services" section where this type discussion takes place.

3. LegolasFett

LegolasFett Registered Member

Ok, thank you.
    Sorry for the incorrect location of the post.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

That's ok - you might also search this forum section; lots of other discussions have been moved here before :cool:

5. satchmo

satchmo Registered Member

Look at ShadowProtect Desktop Edition from StorageCraft Technology.

Their product can take full, differential and incremental images. It can perform bare metal recovery. Has a slick image mount technology that lets you mount an image and treat it like an actual volume, even saving changes. Finally, to your question, you can write scripts for each backup job. One before snapshot, one post snapshot and one post image writing, whereby you could tell it to do a copy over the network. The script configuration is under advanced options.

The link below is to their product page. They also have a free 30-day trial available from their.

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

6. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Information on Ghost performance can be obtained at this forum

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general

7. Cat-21

Cat-21 Registered Member

There are many products I could suggest to you that may help your situation:

1. Drive Snapshot - great imaging program, can run scripted or in Windows. Smallest footprint (1 .exe file). For a rock-solid image, try this simple inexpensive alternative. Can be added to a BartPE CD. Favorite iamging product for workstations and file servers.
    2. Terabyte Image for Windows - another time tested reliable solution. Can be added to a BartPE CD.
    3. Ultrabac UBDR Gold - similar to Acronis TI 9.1 series. Can produce images for many scenarios. Also has a universal restore functionality, one of my favorites.
    4. Symantec Norton Ghost - the mainstay for many years. Provides excellent time-tested images though I prefer the older versions that don't image within Windows (versions 9 and 10). Can be added to a BartPE CD.
    5. Symantec LiveState Recovery - similar to Ghost with enhanced corporate features including Restore Anywhere (like Universal Restore) and more. I have used this product and like it better than Ghost as it's more tailored towards business.

There are many I haven't included as I haven't used them personally. Also Veritas Netbackup has add-on tools for imaging that work with Backup Exec called Veritas CBMR. I have heard good things about it, but heard it's complex so be aware. Hope this helps............................

8. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Nice list - Drive Snapshot - great imaging program and very good value for money

9. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

See Link removed. Post no longer exists. -Ron

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.