TI9 - Shutdown problems with WIN98 SE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DARRYLTRN, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARRYLTRN

DARRYLTRN Guest

Hello.

The subject line says it all.

It seems I am not the only one who is experiencing shutdown issues with TI9. There's at least a couple of posts in this forum by other persons - like me- who are getting blue screens, where the mysterious name of "SNAPMAN" is invoked as the possible cause. Since such posts have not received an official answer from Acronis so far, I am opening this new thread [even though I should probably write about my experience under the same thread(s) opened by the other members; please feel free to move my post elsewhere, in case].

As far as I am personally concerned, "Mr. SNAPMAN" seems to be affecting WIN98SE only. On WinXP SP2, instead, I have no problem at all (but I don't deny that I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

I've tried temporarily disabling all Acronis services at startup, absolutely to no avail.

WIN98SE won't just shut down completely as long as TI9 is installed.
    By "completely", I mean that sometimes blue screens don't appear, and the shutdown sequence seems to start correctly, but then my systems freezes anyway when it reaches the typical screen with the message "It is now safe to turn off your computer" (it goes without saying that my system used to display that message only for a few seconds, and then it would shut down).

Now I have retuned to "old" TI8 (which didn't - and still doesn't - give me this problem), and I am using TI9 solely from the bootable CD.

Being able to make my system shut down completely is imperative for me.
    I often have to access my home PC from abroad with GotoMyPC. I usually wake it up with a ring, and shut it down with a timer that starts 60 seconds after I disconnect.

If TI9 prevents my home PC from shutting down properly, then

1) it will remain on until I return home

and

2) I will no longer be able to wake it up with a call, because it's frozen.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

PS. Yes, I have the latest release.

2. DARRYLTRN

DARRYLTRN Guest

***Rectification***

In my previous post I wrote that I am now using TI9 solely from the bootable CD.

Please forget what I wrote: I've stopped using even the bootable CD created by TI9, as this will SYSTEMATICALLY give me a message, at the end of the backup process, according to which the backup in question was completed with errors.

If I use the good old TI8 CD, instead, everything goes smooth as silk.
    Even TI9 itself (which I still have on a PC running WinXP SP2) confirms that the images created by TI8 are 100% OK.

If I think that I have already PAID for this "upgrade"....
    Well, I'd better think of something else

3. See my recent posting in the "Some things better in 2,259" thread,
    in which I got rid of the SNAPMAN Blue Screen of Death problem
    in WIN98 SE by restoring a few files from a Secure Zone image.

After reading various threads here, my policy is going to be to stick
    with (re-installed) TI 8 until it seems that a build of TI 9 has been
    released with no significant bugs. My payment for TI 8 my turn
    into a mid-term investment ( :) ).

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DARRYLTRN and Anthony Buckland,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response. I'm also really sorry for all the inconveniences caused by such a behaviour of Acronis software.

As for the problem with Windows 98 shut down process. I have already forwarded this issue to our Development Team. I'll let you know when this problem will be fixed.

What concerns the problem with creating the "corrupted" images when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from the Bootable Rescue CD. This problem is also known and will be fixed in the near builds of Acronis True Image 9.0. I'll certainly inform you about the update.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. Acronis Support

I'm glad to inform you that the problem you reported has been fixed. The fix for the Windows 98 shut down process will be implemented in the one of the next builds of Acronis True Image 9.0. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Acronis Support

Please be aware that the problem with creating the "corrupted" images when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from the Bootable Rescue CD has also been fixed. The fix will most likely be available in the next build of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.