TI9 network restore problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stevew72, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevew72

stevew72 Registered Member

Everytime I try to restore from an image on the network it keeps asking for a username and password no matter what I put in. I know im using the correct username and password. Will TI9 just not work over a network or what. Please help!!!! Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stevew72,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot the computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please follow the instructions provided in this FAQ article.

If that does not help then please also check whether the sharing permissions for the shared folder\drive your image archive resides in are set to Full Control (right-click on the folder in Windows Explorer -> Sharing -> Permissions).

If the problem still persists then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 once more and press F11 key when the selection screen appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt and net.txt files are not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file names using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT, NET.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please also take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Could you please also provide us with the following information?

- What operating system is installed on the computer where the shared folder\drive your image archive resides in located?

- Describe your network structure in more detail (hardware and software vendors and models, type of connection, etc.);

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. stevew72

stevew72 Registered Member

I have resolved this issue, I simply had to put domain/username and then the password.

4. goodsurf99

goodsurf99 Registered Member

After about an hour of reading through posts on this forum, I decided to join. I already learned several things I didn't know. Things perhaps I should have known.

For example, I see on comments on this forum that to download an "upgrade" to my current licensed version (I am a licensed user of True Image :cool: I should first completely uninstall the existing version. I didn't know that. Why not? Because there was no mention that I needed to do it that way presented in the upgrade download path I followed, or instructions to do the download and subsequent upgrade.

On Sunday, Feb 12, I downloaded the Trial Version 9, thinking perhaps it would resolve some problems I was having with backup image verifications reporting my partition backup images as being corrupted. Although I am sure I am guilty of not reading every link to information, I am pretty sure I read a comment that Trial 9 would co-exist with my previous version 8, and that I did not need to do an un-install of Version 8 first. But, that is not what happened. Version 9 Trial did an update overlay of Version 8.

I experienced problems with Trial Ver 9 reporting the backup images it made as being corrupted when I ran a "verification" and I contacted customer support. One of the things I was advised to do was to create a Trial Version 9 Boot CD, and use that to try verifications of existing images and also to make a backup image to attempt verification. That sounded like reasonable advice. After all, the Trial Version says it is "fully functional". However, when I attempted to perform these operations that I was advised to do by the customer support representative, guess what I found. The Boot CD made by the trial version is NOT fully functional. It is simply a demo of the operator interface (GUI). It will not perform a verification of an existing image nor will it create a backup image. I can easily understand why it would be that way, but I can't understand how a competent support staff member would NOT know the Trial Version 9 boot CD was functionless.

To make a long story short, I think Acronis has some significant quality control and documentation problems that lead to more "incidents" than there should be based upon the quality of the software product. There will always be software issues in any complex software product. That is un-avoidable due to the complexity of systems and software. However, to have obvious errors or mis-information in procedural documentation is avoidable. The pursuit of such avoidance is called quality control, and I think Acronis should consider increases to their documentation quality control efforts.

Yes, after having faith for the past 6 months that I was adequately backed-up, and to suddenly discover that my backup images are failing verification has rocked my faith quite a bit in Acronis True Image. I am not very happy about this situation at the moment. I am investigating procedures that will lead to reliable backups using True Image, or I will need to change to another backup software vendor. Just my two-cents worth.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello goodsurf99,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The point is that several previous builds of Acronis True Image 9.0 had a minor problem with the installer and so the software could not be installed correctly over the previously installed build. However, this problem was fixed since build 2323. To be more precise, if you have build 2323 or higher already installed on your computer then every next build can be installed over the older one without a problem.

Please also note that most people do not clarify in their first post what build number they use and that is the reason why we usually ask them to uninstall any previously installed build prior to installing the latest one.

I'm afraid that comment was wrong. Actually, both versions use some common modules, folders, system files and so can not coexist on one computer. In other words, Acronis True Image 9.0 can only be installed over Acronis True Image 8.0 (replacing the older version installation).

Please take a look at this previous thread explaining the issue.

Could you please also let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from our Support Team? We will certainly take the appropriate measures in order to avoid such mistakes in the future.

If you have already contacted our Support Team via e-mail on this matter then please let us know your Acronis request #, so we can track the correspondence and see what more can be done regarding your issue.

In case you have not contacted us via e-mail yet, please describe your issue in more detail:

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Where do you store your image?

- Let us know whether your image archive verifies as corrupted both when Acronis True Image is running from under Windows and when the computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. goodsurf99

Thank your for the very comprehensive reply. I have decided to remain with version 8 for awhile longer if I can re-establish my faith in the product. I uninstalled the old version and re-installed from scratch version 8-937. I will now do a full system partition backup, run verification, and then actually create a new disk using a spare hard drive. If it boots and runs, this will make me very satisfied. Also, from this point on I will always run backup and restore operations from the Boot CD to avoid any possible problems that could occur due to conflicts with a very complex multi-tasking operating system that changes from week to week (and sometimes day to day) via Mircrosoft Updates.

This incident I reported was based on issues with Trial Version 9, which I had planned to purchase. Since I am going to hold off on the purchase for awhile now, any issues I had with Trial Version 9 have become non-issues to me. I really like the GUI improvements of Version 9, but I will wait a few months to see how updates are working out. Thank you again.

7. goodsurf99

I am also having problems with Version 8.739. Below is the text of the response I received in regard to a query concerning problems I experienced with Trial Version 9. However, the reason I was trying Trial Version 9 is because my backup images were being reported as being corrupted by Version 8.

This morning I uninstalled Trial Version 9. I downloaded and installed the latest update for Version 8 (Build 937). I performed several single system-partition and full drive image backups with Ver 8 running from the Boot CB. In every case, when I ran verification, it was reported that the backup image was corrupted. I then ran chkdsk on every partition with the fix options set. I then made several more backup images, again using the Boot CD. Same results. The backup images were reported as being corrupted.

I then tried to verify the backup images across the LAN running Trial Version 9 from another machine. Trial Version 9 reported that the backup images was “not an Acronis True Image archive”.

Running 8.937 from the host machine where the backup images reside, I was able to “explore” the backup image without problem. All the data files I looked at (most my data is jpeg images) was there and could be viewed just fine.

For some reason, True Inage does not like my machine. The machine is as follows:

CPU: SEMPRON 2600+
    MOBO: GA-7NF-RZ (333) Win XP SP2 (Nov 2005)
    MEMORY: 512 MB - PC2700
    DRIVE 0: WD120JB (SYSTEM C – 90 GB, DATA D – 30 GB)
    DRIVE 1 : WD160JB (LAN BACKUP H - 100 GB, LAN ARCHIVE E – 60GB)
    OPTICAL: CD R/W, DVD R
    GRAPHICS: ATI RADEON 7200

The partitions imaged were C by itself and also C and D (entire drive 0). The archive images were stored to the WD160JB. I wrote some achives to H (the 100 GB partiton) and also some to E (the 60 GB partition). All cases were reported as corrupted. The error message “the image archive is corrupted” was reported when running verification from Win XP and also when running verification from the Boot CD. The Boot CD was made this morning after the install of Version 8.937. I am pretty much out of ideas on what to try next.

I did not create a replacement system image on a spare hard drive from a backup image of the C (System) partition this morning. However, the last time I attempted this with my original Version 8 (purchased 6 to 8 months ago), the created drive booted into the Win XP Welcome screen and locked up. Since I have multiple users defined, it should have booted to the user logon screen (and of course should not have locked up).

This system runs just fine. Chkdsk did not indicate it found or had to fixed any problems. All my data files show up when I “explore” the image archive, but that is not what I need backup for. I need the capability to restore the System disk and return Win XP to an operable state in the event of a disk crash or corruption of Win XP. I always write data files to two separate physical hard drives, and critical data files I also copy to a third drive on another network machine. So I am not the least bit worried about data loss. The only thing at all unusual about this machine is the 160 GB hard drive, which required Win XP to enable Large Block Addressing (LBA), which it did totally automatically the first time I booted Win XP after installation of this drive.

If you have any ideas, I am all ears. Truthfully, I am about ready to thow in the towel. I worked for 6 hours on this today and at least 12 hours over the past week. I enjoy fiddling with the systems, but this is wearing me down. I already sent the disk report in with my response to the message copied below and responded to each item. Except, of course, I was not able to create a backup image or verify an image from the Trial 9 Boot CD because it does not support those functions. It appears to be solely a GUI demo.

The following is the text of the message I received from tech support.

[Acronis #489972] Image verification error

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for choosing Acronis True Image
    (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article regarding the
    issue with hard drive size
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Could you please perform some diagnostics?

1) Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at
    http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a
    report and send it to us? This would provide us with detailed information on the
    hard disk partition structure.

Please also describe what partitions you create image from and where you store
    image files.

2) Please try to explore (using the "Exploe Image" wizard) the "corrupted"
    image.

3) Please try to verify the image that has been reported as corrupted on another
    computer.

4) Please create Acronis True Image bootable rescue media, boot your computer
    from it and try to check the image that has been reported as corrupted. Please
    also create an analogous image (using the created bootable media) and check it
    (using the created bootable media and under Windows).

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Best regards,
    Dennis Kurochkin

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 115
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com

Acronis Customer Service Department
    http://www.acronis.com/my/support/

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would run Memtest86+ (be sure it is the plus version. Version number is around 1.65) for several full passes to verify you don't have a memory problem. TI could well be using memory that your regular usage doesn't, or regular usage is putting non-critical data in a bad spot. It only takes one bad bit to ruin an image verification.

Trust you aren't overclocking.

Good luck, best I can do.

9. goodsurf99

I do mostly graphics image processing and some demanding activities at that. If the system exhibited any flakiness at all, or if the problem were isolated to a single system, memory would be a reasonable place to look. Be we are talking about a problem that spans several systems. I had no better luck with TI9 Trial on my backup system than on my primary. Now I am simply struggling to get TI8 to function. I had never bothered to run a verification. Thus I assume it never did work right for me.

Part of TI9 is that verification is automatically performed at the end of archive image generation. That is what got me looking at my archive images. I would test TI8 on my backup systems also, but only if directed to do so by an Acronis rep, since loading it onto my backup system would be a violation of the EULA. (So even if I do it, I sure can't talk about it). But truth is I have no reason to do backups on the backup systems, they are there simply to provide disk drive housing and web-browing capability when the primary is busy (doing backups).

10. goodsurf99

So I went ahead and ran memtest86. It reported lots of errors in very high memory. Above 500 MB with 512 MB in the system. It ran fine with just one of the sticks. I'll try the other one in a minute. Could be a problem. Sometimes memtest see problems that are not really problems. But if it barfs on the 2nd stick, with it in there by itself, I'll concede they may be something fishy with the memory. It looks physically very different from the other stick, but both sticks are Kingston KVR333/256. The stick that just passed, has 8 big chips. The other stick only has four little chips. I inherited this stuff from other folks, so I have no idea what they stuck in the machines. I'll try TI8 again after memtest86 warms up the room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.