TI9 Home restore problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by altima_boy_2001, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altima_boy_2001

altima_boy_2001 Registered Member

I imaged my WinXP and Emachines recovery partitions then reformatted them to install RHEL 4. I booted from the recovery CD to restore my WinXP and recovery partitions and now they won't boot. GRUB still comes up as the boot loader. I could get GRUB to jump to the WinXP drive to boot, but it freezes. With more playing around GRUB no longer works either.

HD 1 (as of last image)
    C: WinXP (NTFS)
    Z: Recovery (FAT32)
    E: Data (Extended, NTFS) - note drive contains images for C: and Z:

HD 2:
    D: Data (Primary, NTFS)

When I installed Linux I deleted C: and Z: and made them / (ext3) and /swap. Everything worked great. I decided to go back to WinXP. During recovery using TI9 boot disk I couldn't get rid of /swap. I rebooted into Linux rescue mode from CD and used parted to delete the / and /swap partitions. I then restored C: and Z: into the unallocated area and there were no problems. Rebooted and GRUB came up. Tried the restore again. Now GRUB freezes half way.

Tried booting into Windows rescue console and doing fixmbr command. Now I get:
    <Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll error.

I absolutely cannot lose the E: partition since it's the only place storing my last image. Also, if I lose it then I lose 1.5 months of financial data and some of 2 years worth of my band's original studio multi-track recordings to be used for our next CD release that haven't been backed up yet.

How can I get this working...

(I have successfully imaged/restored these drives about 15 times in the last 9 months and this is the first time there's ever been a problem. Also, I've seen posts saying TI9 saves the MBR and can restore it, but I've never seen that option available. I only use the bootable CD to create and restore partitions because imaging a boot drive while the OS is loaded seems highly error-prone to me no matter how good the software is.)

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Boot with a BartPE cd and use its A43 File Management utility which will give you a Windows Explorer-like interface. There you can copy off your data from the E drive to an external drive.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

To view where MBR is with V9, check image R-6 in my Restore guide listed below.

4. altima_boy_2001

altima_boy_2001 Registered Member

Well, I registered and downloaded the 3854 build, made a Recovery CD, and did a restore. Everything works fine now so it must've replaced the MBR automatically since I still didn't see a specific option of restoring the MBR like in pictures in other posts here.

It works so I'm happy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.