TI9 - E00040001 "Error reading the file."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dave Burton, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Burton

Dave Burton Registered Member

I got this error (E00040001 - Error reading the file) while making a full backup of a 20GB secondary drive using TrueImage 9, booted from the bootable CD. I clicked on Retry and it resumed backing up. This happened about 8-10 times, then it completed and reported "Backup archive creation has been completed successfully."

The drive was plugged into this computer temporarily, just for the purpose of making this backup. It is formatted into two FAT32 partitions. Both partitions are freshly error-scanned (including scanned for bad blocks) and freshly defragged using Windows 2000. So I am confident that there are no bad blocks.

However, there is one odd thing about this drive. I think that it has EZ-Drive on it (at least that is what Partition Magic said, when I booted PM from its CD). I don't know whether that could have anything to do with the TI9 error.

The backup was to an NTFS partition on another hard disk (also known to be good), with fixed-sized backup files (700 MB).

I used TrueImage 9 booted from its standalone CD, in limited (no USB / no SCSI) mode, because it hangs in full mode.

Questions:

1) What is E00040001 "Error reading the file," what causes it, and what does it mean? (Google finds no mention of it anywhere, not even in Usenet.)

2) Can I trust this backup?

3) Are there any "issues" with using TrueImage 9.0 to backup and restore EZ-Drive formatted disks? (E.g., will it properly restore the EZ-Drive special bootstrap code in the MBR?)

Also, if there is someone from Acronis reading this, may I strongly suggest that you update TrueImage to report WHAT FILE it has an error reading! "The file" is insufficiently descriptive when backing up ALL the files on a hard disk drive. "Error reading the file" is a maddeningly useless message, worthy of Microsoft, not Acronis!

-Dave
    dave362 at burtonsys dot com but please no spam

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Acronis chokes on simpler things like wireless keyboard/mouse, some usb enclosures, so I'm not surprised if it does on EZ-drive. If you can, unless you have a good reason to keep the EZdrive overlay, you should get rid of it, and format the drive the normal way.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dave,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either and you still unable to boot into Full version of Acronis True Image 9.0 (build 2337) Bootable Rescue CD then please do the following:

- Boot the computer having the issue from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 once more and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to choose either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button and choose the "Full" option;

- As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens.

Please also let us know when the program hangs exactly.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue from the beforehand created diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

I'm afraid that at the moment we can not provide you with the accurate answer to this question, since this issue requires a deeper investigation.

If the image archive you have created verifies successfully by means of the embedded Check Archive tool both when the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then there should not be any problems restoring this particular image.

Please be aware that we have not heard about such problems of Acronis True Image 9.0 before.

First of all, please check each partition of the hard drive having the issue by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

If the problem still persists then please follow the Chutsman's advice and format the hard drive having the issue using any disk management tool other than EZ-Drive.

If that does not help either then please create Acronis Report as it is described above.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Did you try to create a disk\partition image or a file-based backup?

- What exact error messages did you receive?

- When exactly did you receive these error messages?

- Are you able to backup this particular hard drive when the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Actually, there should not be such error messages. This kind of errors usually show the name of the file that can not be read for some reason. Could you please make a shot of such "incomplete" error message using a digital camera? Please also let us know when exactly this error message appears.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.