TI9 cant restore cause all images are "corrupt"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nukerm36, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nukerm36

Nukerm36 Registered Member

High there!

I'm having a gigantic problem: For a customer who uses TI9 bought Juli 2005 I'm not able to resore from any incremental image (226 files!). The images were created daily The TI9 boot cd comes up, but every!!!! image I do a check on is reported to be corrupt! What can I do now? Windows 2000 is infected by a worm, and I need to do a restore of a non-infected image. Should I try to do a restore, even when TI9 reports a corrupt image? As I read in several threads older builds had a bug in reporting images as corrupt.

Hardware:

Raid0 with 2 80 disks
    1 120GB disk storing the TI9 images

Thanks for any hints !

Regards

Nukerm36

2. oly5

oly5 Registered Member

Still unable to successfully create and restore any type of backup with version 9. When version 9 is replaced with version 8, it works fine. However, as soon as version 9 is installed, it says that the backup was successfully created. But when restoring, it states that it will take over 2 hours, and stalls. After canceling the stalled restore, the entire partition is gone, version 9 says that the image is corrupt, and the file is truncated. Great! Not only is the image no good, but the original partition is destroyed and unusable. Just glad that this is expected, and have a good version 8 image to restore to. Tried many of the suggested Acronis staff "fixes" but nothing works. Even used the Acronis driver fix with no results.

Wish Acronis will address this and resolve the issue as it apparently goes beyond my application. Why does version 8 work and version 9 does not? What has changed?

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Did you try putting the infected drive in another system with an uptodate antivirus program to see if you can get rid of the worm that way? If you can get rid of the worm, you may be able to reinstall Win2k over itself - and you don't lose any data.

Personally I do not like incremental images at all. Large hard drives are cheap enough to make doing FULL images worth the little extra cost. But that's me.;)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nukerm36,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please note that if all volumes of your multivolume image archive reside in the same folder then the embedded Check Archive tool will perform a check of the entire multivolume image archive independently of which file you have selected.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please check your multivolume image archive when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows and inform us about the result.

Please also copy the initial full image in a separate folder and perform a check of this image using Check Archive tool both from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0. Let us know the result.

Could you please let us know the exact vendor, model and type of connection of the 120 GB hard drive your multivolume image archive resides on?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. jackson-ri

jackson-ri Guest

I have he same exact problem but I figured out a workaround. Since I also own TI8, I used it's bootable CD to restore the files created under TI9. I have used this method successfully until Acronis fixes TI9.

6. Nukerm36

Re: TI8 cant restore cause all images are "corrupt"

High there!

Thans for the tips! Sorry but when posting I did a mistake: I'm using TI8 build 749, not TI9. Sorry for that!!

I tried Chutsman advice to clean the disk with another machine, what worked. Additionally I used f-prot whith Knoppix to check the disks. And they are fine now, but still Windows 2000 doesn't boot. Reinstallation worked, but it seems that several files are destroyed (registry) and I need to install a) completly new b) from the images.

I think Chutsman you're right. If just one incemental image is corrupt you're unable to use it for a restore. Sh....

@Acronis

I'm not able to install a newer version, cause - like I mentioned - Win doesn't boot anymore..... So I'm not able to create a new Rescue CD too... With a Rescue- CD of another customer TI9 build 2337 I checked the archive and is is reported to be corrupt too. It seems I'm lost.

As a next step I have to checkup the archive of the other customer, cause his one is corrupt too, but there was never a message that thers's a problem while creating an image.... Good job Acronis!

What I learned from here: never trust anything!!

Concerning the question The disk is a WD1200 connected via IDE the the onboard controller of an Asus A7V333. So just standard and all the files are in one folder, like it must be.

I think I can forget that. I'll copy the data on the raid with knoppix to another disk and will have to reinstall everything (all the software without TI). I'll look for an opensource alternative for TI.

Thanks for the help

Nukerm36

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have already posted to the wish list that where the Secure Zone is used all the images stored there are re-verified when a new verified image is added. This I regard as totally unwarranted.
    I did not realise that the same problem in a slightly different form applied if the user stored several images in the same folder that was not in the Secure Zone. This is really crazy! If I am reading you correctly it means that if one corrupt image is in the folder ALL the images will be reported as corrupt when the Check Image Archive tool is run.
    Surely this cannot be what the Acronis designers specified? No wonder that many users are reporting back with images that are apparently unusable. Reminds me of "One rotten apple turns the whole barrel".
    This problem should be addressed as a matter of urgency. I suggest that users should be able to select a single image either on it's own or with it's incrementals/differentials either when being created or restored.

Having done some checking of my own it may that you meant to say that all the incrementals/Differential will be verfied together with the base image to which they relate. Any other base images and their incrementals/differentials even if in the same folder can be verified separately. This seems to be what actually happens. However it does not solve the excessive veifications that happen in the secure zone.

Xpilot.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Nukerm36,

Considering Alexey's reply, maybe moving e.g. the last half of the incremental files to another folder and checking the first half would help. Then you could move away or back some more incrementals until you find the maximum number of incrementals that will pass the check. That would make your latest usable restore point.

10. Nukerm36

High bVolk,

thanks for your tips! I tried this as a last possibility without success. I Started with only the first file in a seperate folder, and this one was reported as corrupt too. I reinstalled the system completely from scratch

Thanks

Nukerm36

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.