TI9 backup size limitation?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bluesmith, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesmith

bluesmith Registered Member

I'm trying to backup some dir's on my PC to an external USB2 HDD. The total size is about 150 Gb. I've configured the job to automatically size the file (not to split it up). When I run the job, I have two problems:

1. I can see the backup files being split into 4 Gb sizes.
    2. The backup ultimately doesn't progress and stays in limbo until I end-task it (varies around the 5% to 20% mark).

I have another job that backs up ~50 Gb into one backup file and that job works fine.

Any ideas for this wacky behavior? I'm running Win XP Pro, SP2, NTFS formatted drives.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

It sounds like your external drive is formatted FAT32. Fat32 has a 4GB file size limitation. TI will automatically break it up in this case.

3. bluesmith

thomasjk,

Thanks! I just verified your point and that is correct for my problem #1.

To be more specific, my 50Gb backup job goes to an NTFS ext. drive while the 150 Gb one is going to a FAT32 ext. drive. I'll convert to NTFS.

What about the part of the job just hanging and not progressing further?

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Are you doing this within windows or from a Rescue CD? Can you try a smaller backup and see if it succeeds to this drive?

5. bluesmith

I'm doing the backup from within windows. I'll try again after I convert to NTFS. If that fails, I'll try a smaller backup. I'll report back by Monday.

6. bluesmith

I converted the partition to NTFS and re-attempted the backup and it hung again. I changed the selection of data to backup but still over 100 Gb and same hanging result.
    I can simply copy the 100+ Gb of files to the ext. hdd without problems.
    I also ran chkdsk, rebooted and let it do a full scan on the drive. It found no problems on the drive.
    Other ideas?

7. bluesmith

FYI, I was able to successfully run the backup using trial version of TI 10...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.