TI9 - After clone can;t boot from source drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mediamon, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mediamon

Mediamon Registered Member

Using latest version of True Image Build 9.0 2323 built a media rescue disk (Boot CD) on an XP SP2 system.

Last eve booted off the Zcronis Media Rescue CD. Chose "full version" and then proceeded to clone the system boot internal IDE drive (WD 160 containing two partitions, the NTFS boot/system partition with XP SP2 and the hidden "HP Recovery" FAT32 partition).

Cloned to a new WD250 IDE drive enclosed in an external USB enclosure.

Since the destination drive was larger than the source drive I selected "proportional" copy. (True Image reported that the cluster size would grow from 4k to 8k for the FAT-32 partition, which I don't understan why this had to be the case... just wanted the NTFS partion to grow to take up rest of capacity of new hard drive). Anyway the clone process began proceeding as expected then I hit the hay.

This morning woke up and the cloning process status bar showed 100% but message on screen stated "synchronizing OS". I don't understand this. I was expecting a sector by sector stright clone. Just expected the source drive to be copied sector by sector, no changes to the source drive.

The "Synchronizing OS" message stayed on screen for four hours this morning with no change, and then I found the mouse and the keyboard were not responding.

So finally I had enough of that and shut power down (soft reboot did not work). Removed the boot CD and then disconnected the USB drive system was cloned to (at least I think the clone finished), then started up system.

POST displayed on screen, iwith POST dentifying all my connected hard drives correctly, but after POST I just get a blinking cursor. :eek:

What did the cloining process do to my system? Again I was expecting a sector by sector stright clone. that is source drive to be copied sector by sector to the destination drive, no changes to the source drive.

Note that using TI9, I previously cloned a media drive (non boot single partition NTFS) to an external USB drive with success.

So what would cause my current issue?

Anyone with recommends to repair my situation? Thanks.

Woody

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Since your original boot drive cannot now boot, I think your only option is to use your WinXP CD to do a Repair. When you boot that CD ignore the first screen that has a Repair option. The second time you get a Repair feature is the one you want. Your programs and files will be safe.

As for what went wrong with the cloning, I can only say from my own experience that I have had no luck cloning to a drive in a USB enclosure unless the drive sizes were almost equal. How much of a difference is there before the cloning fails - I don't know, I don't have the time or the resources to find out. The failed clones always boot up with a "ntldr missing" error. None of the solutions for that error here worked for me since the file was not, in fact, missing.

What works for me is to make an image of the source then Restore that image to the new drive.

3. Mediamon

Chutsman, sounds like you are experienced of which you speak. Thanks for the informative recommendations.

Can an official Acronis support person chime in on this and confirm that the issue that I report is a known issue, and if it is a known issue then is it scheduled to be repaired in a future update?

The option of cloning should be disabled until this issue is fixed.

I am still at a compete loss in comprehending why the source hard drive was even written to? The destination drive should have been the only drive written to. Or am I missing something in my understanding of the cloning process?

Also would like to hear an "official" recommendation backing up Chutsman's recommendation that a "repair" is my only option at this point.

I have wasted enough time with this new version of True Image (Ghost was working for me just fine). Only reason I changed to True Image was that this product was recommended to me from a long time True Image user. So as you can guess I am biting my lip here...

Thank you.

Woody

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  4. Mediamon

I need to add that this issue is on a fairly recent HP box running XP Home SP2. You know, the boxes which are not bundled with an XP OS CD. Instead one has to to build a "System Recovery" CD. Unfortunately this was not done.

My plan was to use the True Image clone as my "Recovery CD" but as you observe that idea is now foiled.

And now because of True Image mucking things up I can not boot off the hidden "HP Recovery" partition.

So can a XP Home CD (WITHOUT slipstreamed SP's) that came with a different PC be used for "repair"?

Or can a XP Pro CD (WITH slipstreamed SP2) be used for "repair"? These are the only two XP CD's I have at my disposal.

Woody

5. Chutsman

I actually had to do this two days ago - not because of a TI foul up but something entirely different - to a laptop. Just be sure you have the Product ID for the Xp Pro Cd handy. The second Repair option as I suggested before is what I used. No files or programs were lost. My XpPro was also slipstreamed with SP2.

6. Mediamon

I did boot with the XP CD and I selected R for Repair. Then it put me at the Recovery prompt. I don't think this is what you are recommending?

So I guess I don't understand. The "second Repair option"? The "second time"? What should I select after booting from the XP CD?

Thanks for your suggestions.

P.s. It is frustrating still that Acronis support has yet to respond to my questions in this thread. Especially when I see support has responded to newer postings after mine. So far I am not impressed.

Woody

7. Mediamon

When will Acronis Support respond?

8. Mediamon

When will Acronis Support respond?

9. Chutsman

Ignore the first screen that comes up with a Repair option, choose whatever is there besides the Repair. In subsequent screens another Repair option will be available - that's the one to use.

10. Mediamon

Only other option is to run Setup. If I do the Setup process initated. Typically if a previous install of XP is recognized XP Setup will ask you if you want to repair. But not in this case.

I feel True Image clone process has damaged the logical structures on the source disk drive.

I have ran a number of utilities from a boot disk to view/read the disk structures and the logical structures appear as a mangled mess. there is no reconstructing a MBR or partition tables.

Thanks for your follow-up Chutsman but no thanks to Acronis for their lack of follow-up and especally for putting out a new TI version before fully testing. My advise to anyone contemplating upgrading to TI9 .... FORGET IT! Unless you want to put your data at risk.

Woody

11. emt

emt Registered Member

Woody, about 7 months ago I had a problem on one of my computers and thought my xp home recovery disk would work to correct it. It seemed logical to chose r for repair. However, Once I choose repair -- it does no repairs -- it now forces you to reload the os. Perhaps you should use your 1 free call to microsoft support if you have not previously used it. I was suprised that they allowed one support call - I talked about 40 minutes to a helpful real american person. Just wondering if you are also the woody on slick dealso_O A very frequent poster there. Hope the one free call helps.

12. noonie

noonie Registered Member

A couple of points not previously mentioned.

Not all winxp cd's have the second "repair install" option. This is dependent on the lisencing agreement with the individual oem.

You can use any comperable winxp cd with it's appropriate product key. Perhaps you can borrow one.

Terminology
    Windows repair>uses the recovery console
    Windows repair install>uses the install process to reinstall over the existing install, without losing program registry settings, favorites, menus, etc. (all data should be backed up if possible) You must enter into setup, accept the eula, then accept and press "r" to proceed to repair the existing winxp. Do Not continue if this repair option is not available, in this case it will be a clean install.

If you purchased Ti9, then you can get v8 which should work in future.

BTW, If I remmeber correctly, Hp lost a class lawsuit last august concerning the "not supplied recovery cd" and must give it to all customers free if requested, although shipping charges may be a joke.

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.