TI8 Restore Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Phil B., Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil B.

Phil B. Registered Member

I had a Registry failure that prevented me booting up my PC. I tried Safe Mode and Restore to last good settings. Same results. I then started the restore of my C drive using TI 8.

There is a full backup and 12 Incremental backups. TI8 says it will take 16 hours to restore. So far it is running 9 hours and still in the first step, verifying image.

Should it be taking this long? My C drive is a partition of 24GB with 9.5 GB of data.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Phil

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

That seems way too long to me for 9.5 gigs of data. But how long is reasonable, I don't know.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Way too long, but more info is needed.
    Build #, where is image stored (USB drive etc.), how are you restoring (boot CD, F11 …), anything else you can think of.

4. Phil B.

TI 8 Build 937
    Boot CD
    External HD USB 2 (Backup files)
    Dell 2.8GH
    120Gb Internal Hard Drive
    Partitions 5
    C- OS and Dell installed software
    F Software I installed
    G Photos
    H Data and workspace
    I Photo software

It ran until some time this morning (About 1 AM) and completed sucessfully
    Everything Ok now but I would like to know why it took so long.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Phil

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Phil,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide us with the following information?

- Where do you store your image?

- Have you restored an image of the entire hard drive or an image of a single system partition?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Phil B.

Alexye,

Images are stored on my external USB 2 hard drive.

I was only restoring the C Partition. Have never restored the entire drive (all 5 partitions).

Used the TI 8 Build 937 Bootable CD.

Followed all the instructions that came up on the screen and made sure I was only restoring the C partition. Did not check Verify image.

Most of the 16 hours was spent verifying the images. As of 13 hours running it was still in the first step checking image achrive. Didn't stay up until it finished around 1:30 AM.

1 Full backup image and 12 Incremental images.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

7. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

A quick thought here, Phil. If you are using a hub for that external, remove it and connect direct. If you are using a front usb port, connect to a rear one.

As a test, if you have the space, do away with incrementals and try a Restore from a Full backup.

8. Phil B.

Chutsman,

USB 2 Drive (200 Gb Maxtor) is connected to a rear USB port.

Maybe I will be able to try restoring a full backup of the I partition although it only has 3 GB of data. I will have to do a full backup of the partition first.
    Would this help resolve the problem of the 16 hour restore?

Phil

9. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hi Phil,

Did you check how big each of the 12 incrementals was?. If your full was 9.5GB and if you have a fairly busy system or if you've defragged, it's conceivable that the total size could have been 50 GB or even larger. That's because True Image includes a whole sector in the image if anything at all, even a single byte, has changed in the sector.:cool:

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Phil, if you want us to proceed with the investigation of this issue then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  11. Phil B.

Ozmanaic,

Here are the sizes of the full back and each incremental. Keep in mind they are of the entire drive, all 5 partitions

Full backup 26.5GB
    Incrementals

I was only restoring the C partition, not the entire drive. I also did a defrag a couple of days before he last incremental.

Phil

12. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hi Phil,

That comes to 52.9GB, but as you say, you're only restoring some of it, though it is interesting to see how incrementals can add up to some fairly hefty totals.

Another cause could be that your USB2.0 drive is only restoring at USB1.0 speed (which is around 40 times slower!). I think that the reports that Acronis Support have asked for may show if that's the case.:cool:

13. Phil B.

"Quote"
    Maybe I will be able to try restoring a full backup of the I partition although it only has 3 GB of data. I will have to do a full backup of the partition first.
    Would this help resolve the problem of the 16 hour restore?

I did a backup of the I partition (3.2gb) data. Then I restored the I partition. It took 58 minutes to restore the 3.2GB from the full backup of I partition. No incrementeal involved here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.