TI8 no compression

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by loadedlimey, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loadedlimey

loadedlimey Registered Member

Hi,

Whenever I create an image there's no compression, i've tried selecting different compression levels - same result.....

Any ideas anyoneo_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello loadedlimey,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please inform what the content of the partition you are imaging is? If you create the image of the data like video, audio or pictures the compression ratio will be very similar to 1, i.e. these types of data are difficult to archive and the size of the image will be near the original size of the data you back up.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. adolikian

adolikian Registered Member

When selecting the compression level, the setup wizard estimates the final compressed image size and the time duration it will take to achieve that level of compression. I have noticed that the estimates are often unpredictable and/or erroneous.

Some questions come to mind as to how TI8 arrives at these estimates.
    Could you elaborate on how the software operates?

1. Does TI8 view the content of the file types on source disk, or is it just a guess? What factors are considerated in arriving at these estimates?

2. Does TI8 factor in whether the file system is NTFS, and if, so whether the volume is already using NTFS compression? (What compression level is recommended for imaging NTFS compressed volumes?)

3. Does TI8 factor in the CPU power of the crunching machine when estimating the time duration? (Sometimes the estimated times are widely different between High and Max compression, other times they are the same.)

4. Does TI8 factor in the bandwidth of the connection to the destination drive when estimating the time duration? (For example, connection to an external disk using USB 1.1 or 10BaseT Ethernet could/should lengthen the estimated time).

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.