TI8 incremental backup vs. full backup question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LuckMan212, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

Hello I have a general question about True Image 8:

if I wanted to generate incremental backups for example 2 weeks (every night making a new incremental backup) but then after 2 weeks I want the program to "start fresh" by dumping the old images and creating a new full backup, is this possible?

example: set Every day schedule to Incremental, then make another schedule to run a full backup every 2 weeks with same file name.. would it work?

if there is any way to do this I would appreciate the advice. I know I can make a batch file or something to delete the Incremental images once every 2 weeks but that is not "safe" since what happens if Murphy's Law hits and it happens that right after I delete the incrementals, a drive fails and I cannot restore...

I hope what I am asking makes sense.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LuckMan212,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

The way you proposed is absolutely right. First schedule the full back up creation and then schedule the incremental back up creation indicating the same name of the back up.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Omen

Omen Registered Member

TI8 won't automatically delete your incrementals, but it will know which ones are part of your last full backup.

So for example, in my case I do a full backup every Sunday, and incrementals the remaining 6 days of the week. I always have 7 files in my backup directory, even though some of those incrementals may be no longer valid due to the full backup changing on Sunday.

I think TI8 should have an option to delete the incrementals that no longer are valid.

4. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

Hmmm that sounds like a good idea! :)

5. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

..so it stores an incremental backup as a seperate file (with original) within the secure zone? I could never get an incemental backup to work on demand. I would rather clean junk out and virus scan before making a backup. I suppose just overwriting the original is not so bad - I think that is what i'm doing. It does not take very long anyway.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.