TI8 Image corrupted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SLR, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLR

SLR Registered Member

I just downloaded TI8 and tried imaging Drive C: to Drive D: All appeared to go well, but when I tried to verify the image, I got an error message saying that the image was corrupted. I cannot find any information in the manual, help files or FAQs that explains what this means and how to fix it. There were no errors reported in the log file. I ran Norton Disk Doctor on the drive, but it reported no problems found. Now what? Any suggestions?

I am running Windows 2000 Pro with all of the latest patches.
    Both disks are FAT32 EIDE.
    The image was split into 2 parts, 4.2GB and 0.4GB.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, SLR

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

If it says it is corrupt, I sorry to say there is no way to fixing it. [delete it or better erase it if you have an Eraser]

You will a to try again, try with the BootDisk. [less chance of any conflicts]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. SLR

SLR Registered Member

I don't want to fix the corrupted images. I want to know why they were corrupted in the first place. As far as I can see, I did everything according to the book and got no error messages in the log file. It wasn't until I tried the Verify Image step that I got the Images Corrupt message. I was hoping that someone had seen this problem before and could save me a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Could you please answer the following questions:
    - Were the images are stored?
    - Did you verify them in Windows, or starting Acronis True Image from bootable media?
    - What is the build number of Acronis True Image 8.0 you tried?

5. SLR

SLR Registered Member

The images are on drive D:, a separate drive that I use exclusively for backups.

I tried verifying them in Windows.

Build 763.

I tried mounting the image as a virtual drive, and that worked. I was able to read and copy documents from the image. So, why does EXPLORE IMAGE work when CHECK IMAGE says that the image is corrupted?

6. Acronis Support

Most probable reason is that your D: drive has unmarked bad sectors.
    Try running the following command:
    chkdsk /r d:

7. SLR

SLR Registered Member

I ran Norton Disk Doctor, and it reported no problems found (See my first post). Will Scandisk find things that Norton didn't?

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Seems it couldn't hurt to try.

9. craigh

craigh Registered Member

I purchased True Image on Monday and I've had similar experiences. I have created three images using the Acronis Secure Zone. I was able to explore the first two and I attempted to do a restore, which failed because the verify failed. I then tried to check the first two images, but they failed the check test. So I created another image today. I tried to check it and Acronis reported that I had no images in the Secure Zone.

I have also gotten no errors. I'm scanning the hard drive now and I hope it reports problems; then at least it will not be the program at fault.

After scanning the disk, I'm going try creating an image on the hard drive after booting from the recovery disks. Keep your fingers crossed!

10. craigh

craigh Registered Member

Update: I just completed 2 surface scans on my disk; no problems were reported.

11. JFillman

JFillman Guest

I'm using version 7 and have had similar problems. I backed up to DVD-RW disks and when I went to restore, it told me the files were corrupted. I tried several of the files it put on a handful of the DVD-RW disks, but all were listed as corrupted. Booted from the recovery disk, which also told me the files were corrupted. For some reason, the files were copied to the disks with a ti11 file extension instead of a tib file extension, and so it didn't even recognize the file type that it created.

12. wokoenig

wokoenig Registered Member

Hi,
    the same Problem I did public here some days ago.
    Every Backup File what I have created under XP Pro SP2 was corrupt :-(
    The File was 4,6 GB and saved on another Partition with NTFS.
    A backup, created with the Boot disc from TI 8 (latest patch) ,and the backup File was NOT corrupted!!!

With TI 7.x I had no problem to create a backup under Windows.
    I think that the new version 8 is a little buggy.:-((

13. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hi,

here a similiar problem.

I have done a Backup Image with Acronis True Image 7 Build 613.
    During Imaging no problems and no errors.

I have backup 2 parititions into 2 Image files from one hdd to another hdd.
    Source and destination are scanned with chkdsk /f /r and there are no problems..

All is done under Windows XP Pro SP2.

Then as I want restore the Image to a new hdd (brand new, no errors..) TrueImage 7 says that this isn't an (correct) image file. :(
    I doubleclick on the .tib image file and the same error message :(

How I can restore my files?

Is there any recovery tool at Acronis that can recover my data?
    I hope so..

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

14. craigh

craigh Registered Member

Final update: After scanning my hard drive (which came up clean), I tried to create an image both from the rescue disks and from the recovery manager. Images create just fine either way but, again, the verify process fails.

For the record, I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with all service packs and updates installed. I've only got a few utilities installed (i.e., Spybot, Acrobat Reader, a zip/unzip utility, an a cache cleaner -- all run on demand, not continuously) so the computer has no applications running. The machine is a 2 GHz system with 256 Mb of RAM and a 40 GB drive, mouse, keyboard, monitor and network connection -- no other peripherals or accesories.

Because I'd heard good things about Acronis products, I had not expected to have such problems. At this point, I have to give up on True Image because I don't have time to help solve the problem. For everyone else's sake, I hope that this turns out to be a simple problem, but judging from the other postings, it is hard to be optimistic.

15. SLR

SLR Registered Member

I just ran "chkdsk /r D:" and, as I expected, there were no bad sectors or other problems reported. From the other posts here, it appears that the problem is not operating system (Win2K and WinXP), file system (FAT32 and NTFS) or disk drive related. So, when is Acronis going to admit that they have a serious bug.

16. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

No problem here (TI8.768 )
    I have made at least 6 backups of a running Win2k SP3 machine to a homebrew NAS and all verified OK.

17. Acronis Support

Please contact support@acronis.com.

18. SLR

SLR Registered Member

As requested, I sent the Acronis report to support@acronis.com, but I have not yet received a reply. In the meanwhile I tried some more experiments.

I downloaded the latest build (8.0.76:cool: and tried verifying the image with it. No luck.

Next, I tried creating a new image with TI8.0.768. Still no luck.

Finally, I tried creating a new image with my TI8.0.763 boot disk. When I verified it with the boot disk, it was OK. I then rebooted and checked the image again with TI8.0.768, and again it was OK.

So, it appears that there is something in my system that TI8 has a problem with when creating an image. I don't know what would happen if I tried to restore the image, but I'm hoping that now that it verifies OK, can be restored cleanly if necessary. I have not tried creating an incremental backup yet, so I don't know if that will have the same problems.

19. Gonga

Gonga Registered Member

I have used many imaging programs, and multiple versions of them, over the years, including Drive Image, Ghost, PartitionMagic, and now TrueImage (the best of the lot). Creating an image from within Windows has never been reliable with any imaging program that I have used. It is advisable never to do this. My advice is to ALWAYS use the boot CD and ALWAYS fix disk errors before backing up or restoring.

20. SLR

SLR Registered Member

Just for the heck of it, I tried doing an incremental backup from within Windows. It created a "corrupt" image. What a surprise. I guess that you are right about always using the boot disk, but that means that I cannot use one of the features that attracted me to TI, scheduled backups.

On another subject, every time I try to create an image, I get an error message. "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0." If I press "Ignore" twice, TI goes ahead and creates the image. I can't find anything in the manual about error messages. Does anyone know what this one means?

21. SLR

SLR Registered Member

I just did a search on "sector 0" and found that my question had already been answered. Sorry about that. :oops: I do, in fact, have a card reader with no card in it. I hope that Acronis either fixes this problem or at least provides a more helpful error message.

22. noonie

noonie Registered Member

SLR
    Fat32 has a 4gig limit. It sounds like win2000 did that, and Ti couldn't handle it. For all file systems, including fat 32, I make backup sizes of 650mb, that way I cover all the options, hdrive, cd, dvd etc. For the restore, point to the last image and it takes care of the rest unless you have to change optical media. To archive, just drag and drop all tib files to your optical burner.
    I use an 8in1 card reader and have not problems with it. Try from the boot ti cd.

iNsuRRecTioN
    Try using the boot disk for image and restore

craigh
    If possible, try to restore the image created from the ti boot disk to a another hard drive. I have had instances in the past where ti said the imaage was corrupt, but in reality it worked.

JFillman
    If your files aren't tib then they won't work. How did Ti put t11 files on dvd/rw disks? Ti won't write to dvd natively.

I still use v613, from a boot disk. Obviously ti8 has a multitude of problems, so I won't try it. I don't care about all the fancy bells and whistles that Acronis claims it will do. I understand the dissappointment of customers having bought it for these features. I've got approx 70 bucks in 2 versions of ti invested and I can reimage a drive with it. So I'm happy. My other alternative would be to spend no less than 100 hrs reinstalling and still not being where I was.
    Acronis needs info from you guys to address these bugs, but unfortunately, this seems to take a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.