TI8 and Norton Internet Security 2005

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JNB, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JNB

JNB Registered Member

I have obviously a conflict between TI8 and Norton Internet Security 2005. TI8 used to work fine on my computer. I installed the latest release of Norton. Then it was taking several minutes (a dozen) for TI to start and explore the partition. Making it impossible to use. I removed Internet Security and the problem desapeared. What can I do to have those two applications working together?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JNB,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that it is a known problem. The point is that Norton requires the exclusive access to the hard drive and blocks this access to the applications like Acronis True Image 8.0.

I'm afraid that most likely you would not be able to avoid this problem, but however you can try the following tips:

- Make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

- Install the latest version of Acronis drivers with disabled logging.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. DarkStar

DarkStar Registered Member

Hi there,

I have NIS2005, NAV2005 and TI8, but I have not experienced any conflicts.

TI8 starts and works fine (as does Disk Director 9).

Can you explain what causes the conflicts and what the know problem is?
    And then I might be able to explain what I have done that avoids them.

4. DarkStar

Alexey,

What's the problem - as I do not seem to have any conflicts between NIS2005 and TI8

5. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

NIS is a pathetic excuse for a firewall or security system, so I don't really see why there is a need to use the bloated and ineffective gizmo when there far leaner and much more effective walls all over the place. I do security consulting, and for home users I recommend KAH as it is light, easy to configure, and very strong. For savvier users I suggest 8Signs, which is a rule-based wall, cumbersome to configure for the uninitiated.

Dump NIS as it will not protect you from anything. In testing with a group of other consultants we ran bets as to who would hack a system "protected" by NIS faster. That ought to give you an idea the sort of trash it is.

6. JNB

JNB Registered Member

Interresting comments, but I still do not understand why I cannot use TI8 with NIS. And, according to Acronis, this is a known problem with no solution. I could not find any mention of this problem before buying TI8. I would appreciate clarification from Acronis.

7. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

The reply from Acronis is quite simple and very much true:

Perhaps you should discuss your particular problem at the Symantec forums, as this is a known problem and I'm sure other users will be affected as you are.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DarkStar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that I'm not eligible to provide you with the more detailed information.

I can only recommend to temporarily disable or uninstall Norton Internet Security while installing\using Acronis True Image 8.0.

I appreciate your consideration on this matter.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. DarkStar

Thank you for your reply, but I do not understand why.

I seem to be able to use TI8 and NIS2005 together. Both run, both seem to work. I cannot see any conflict. "What am I doing wrong?" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.