TI6 fails when backing up more than 4GB over network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pgoelz, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

Title says all. If I try to back up a partition that results in an image file larger than 4GB, TI splits it into two parts. And if the image is being created on a network drive, the process seems to fail when the split happens with an error about the media being full. The same image can always be successfully written to the same partition that is being imaged and then moved, but that is cumbersome.

Any ideas? It happens on two different PCs, one a laptop running WinXP Pro and the other a desktop running Win98SE. Everything works fine unless the image file will exceed 4GB. I took a quick look through this forum and didn't see anything on this issue.

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Depending on what the network drive is mapped to, you may need to split at a different point. First try splitting at 1 GB, if that works (As I suspect it will) you may experiment further or quit there. YMMV

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  3. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I believe Linux SAMBA may have a 4GB file size limit. This may have been resolved in the latest versions, but it looks like ATI is being hit by this issue.

As suggested, just set up ATI to split the files at 4GB or less

4. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

Thanks, I'll try that. I think you are correct.... TI is set to automatically split as needed and is splitting at somewhere at or above the FAT32 4GB limit (which I had forgotten about) and the system isn't handling it well.

My backup drive (running on a Win2K machine) is formatted as FAT32 but I can change that to NTFS which may resolve it.

Paul

5. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

OK, seems the problem is that TI6 splits the file at the wrong place when set to automatic. We did a backup (about 7GB total) and manually set the split at 3.5GB and it went off without a hitch, resulting in three files written to the network drive.

Note that it did NOT work when I left the setting on AUTO and changed the backup destination drive from FAT32 to NTFS (it runs on a Win2K machine). Apparently the Win98 machine we were backing up couldn't handle the >4GB file even though the destination could ?? It ran normally and said it was complete. But I noticed only one file on the destination machine..... that stopped growing after it hit about 4.1GB even though TI on the source machine continued after that to run to completion without error and the destination drive continued to show activity.

So.... is there a fix without me having to pay money to upgrade? I vastly prefer TI6 to Ghost and have been recommending it to friends, but this issue will bite anyone with a big partition and who is not running NTFS.

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

This issue is more complicated than it might seem. There are all kinds of destination devices that report back to TI differently (erroneously?). I have seen NAS devices that stumbled at 2 GB but work fine with 1 GB splits. That's why I advised you to start there since I did not know what you were imaging to. Also, I think that "Auto" might really be aimed more at removable drives, which usually clearly report when the disk needs to be changed. All in all, I think it's up to the user to split in a manner that will work on the network device. I don't see an upgrade doing any better. As always YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  7. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

Ah, maybe I didn't fully understand how the split procedure works. I thought that Acronis decided where to split based on the system. But from your description it sounds more like Acronis waits for the destination to tell it the file is too big. In that case, I agree.... I have to call the shots because somewhere something isn't telling Acronis to split in time. I seem to recall a couple error messages where the message said that the destination drive was full.... when it wasn't. But at the time I had forgotten that FAT32 has the 4GB file limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.