TI11 sucks so far!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bacchus, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bacchus

bacchus Registered Member

I'm using the trial of TI11 and I started a full backup of a 100 GB HD (75GB of data) and went to sleep.I woke up and found these errors:

19: Error

Saturday, November 10, 2007 1:59:58 AM

Details:
    Operation with partition "C:" was terminated.

Details:
    Read error (0x70003)

and the subsequent -

20: Error

Saturday, November 10, 2007 2:00:18 AM

Details:
    Operation has completed with errors.

Details:
    Read error (0x70003)

OK, I can figure out that TI11 couldn't read something. Now what? Before attempting a back up, I cleaned, emptied, scrubbed, disinfected, defragged and check disked and optimized the hard drive. I was kind of hoping that this product would be a little more helpful in diagnosing and fixing a problem. Any help?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you ran the Backup from within Widows then try it with the Rescue CD and vice versa.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't believe you can create a backup from the Trial Version rescue CD - only restore.

If your HD has more than one partition, try a partition at a time. This may pin down the partition containing the problem or if it happens on all of them it will point to a general failure. TI is not known for its detailed error messages!

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

When you try to backup 75 gb of data your going to have problems.
    My recommendation is try backing it up with "no compression" to make it easier on your system.
    I always keep my c: partition small (20gb , 4gb in use) I can back it up in less than 5 minutes with normal compression.
    My data partition which is 180gb, I just use the windows explorer to copy that information to an external drive.

For me this program works great when it only has to backup less than 10gb of data, it's quick and it will also recover quickly. I've read of people trying to backup 400gb hard drives with it taking days to do it (it's quicker just using windows explorer for the data). and using true image for what it's design to do which is backup your system files and recover your system files to a new hard drive.

It can backup a hugh drive but it will take many hours to do it and just as many hours to recover it, when your hard drive crashes, the last thing you want to do is wait 3 or 4 hours to recover and find out it's has all type of errors in it.

5. bacchus

Gee guys, thanks for the advice, unfortunately, A) the trial is time limited - and ran out; B) I AM backing up 75+GB of HD. It's the OS plus data. The data is spread throughout the partition. Why in the world would I want to waste another whole HD filling it up with uncompressed data that I just straight copied from the original? I could just do an uncompressed duplication of the HD if i wanted that. What I want to do is make a backup archive of the whole HD (an image) onto a 40GB HD and have room to append intermittent and/or transient (yes, I know it's "incremental" and "differential". It's just a paradigm shift) backups in the future. It's the most effective use I can think of for all these small drives I have lying around. Maybe, if I could try TI again .... As it is, I'll try another product which can do what I want out of the box.

6. seekforever

It depends on the data but I'd have little confidence about being able to jam 75GB onto a 40GB drive regardless of the compression level. If the data has a lot of mpg, jpg, mp3, wma, zip, rar files you will be even less likely to do it since they are already compressed.

Certainly a personal preference, but I always put the OS/Apps on one partition and data on a different one. This works well since the smallest unit that can be imaged is a partition and I always image. It allows me to blow away C at any time without being concerned about data files.

Data files I backup in their native format by an automated copy using a program like SyncBack; I don't want them jammed into a proprietary container file.

You may see things differently!

7. bacchus

Sorry for the delay in responding but you may be right. I know i can fit it all on this drive but it might be advantageous for me to just image the OS and AppData directories separately, then copying data files natively. Something to think about if I ever try TI again.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

At a about 1 GB per minute, I can backup 17 GB in less than 20 minutes.

9. dheijl

dheijl Registered Member

Strange, I have no problem with that. Takes a little more than 1 hour including verify. Using firewire external disk.

I think a back-up should work regardless of the amount of data.

Danny
    ---

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

In general, the amount of data being backed up doesn't affect the stability of the imaging operations made with Acronis True Image 11 Home at all. So there is no any adequate reason to count the 75Gb data size as a direct cause of read error that occurs.

bacchus, please save the log of the failing operation to a file and create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and will definitely provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

11. NomadRider

NomadRider Registered Member

Danny,

Are you using the rescue media to create your backups? I would like to image the OS drive on my PC backing up to a FireWire 160GB drive, but I want to be sure that I can dump the image back to the computer in the event of a failure. Does the Rescue Media CD that TI11 creates include the necessary drivers for your FireWire devices? If not, where did you find the necessary drivers.

John

12. seekforever

You can't add additional drivers to the TI rescue media; Acronis has to provide an updated iso file to burn. If you are a Linux guru and are having a good day you may be able to do something but it certainly isn't an option for most people.

Making a BartPE or the Vista equivalent CD is an option since they are a Windows environment and provide a mechanism to add mass storage drivers if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.