TI11 scheduler HELP!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by claykin, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claykin

claykin Registered Member

OK, so I downloaded the TI11 trial. I've got some time to decide if I like it. Right off the bat I think its a bit weird to say the least!

In trying to schedule a disk image (or data file backup), I'm trying to set a base image to be performed every Monday and an incremental (or differential) image to be performed Tuesday - Sunday. Then the following Monday a previous image (from 3 weeks ago) is erased and a new week begins. I can't do it (at least not easily). Ghost 12 does it without a problem. Any ideas?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I haven't tried this in TI 11, but it was hard to do in earlier versions.

The TI scheduler doesn't seem designed to create backups the way you want to do it. It's the way I'd do it also, but not with TI.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I do more or less what you want.

First name your full image file and set it for whatever day and time you want. Make sure you choose weekly in the schedule.

Second from the task wizard choose incremental/differential - and when it asks for the image name, select the one you chose for the full image.

set the schedule for daily and tick the days you want.

That's it - the only variation I perform is to have two sets of schedules that run alternately once a fortnight, that way I always have a full set to fall back on if everything goes pearshaped.

Colin

4. claykin

Thanks. But, then how do you make sure TI only keeps the last 2 or 3 full sets on the backup drive (the initial as well as the incrementals associated with that image)? I don't want the backup drive to be cluttered if TI cannot know to remove the old sets.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

It will automatically overwrite the files.

Example: The backup set is called MAIN_C.tib and that is scheduled for every Monday.

When you set up your inc/diffs - you also called them MAIN_C.tib and you have them run Tu - Su

After each image you will have the following files.

MAIN_C_1.tib (This is your full backup)
    MAIN_C_11.tib (first inc/diff image)
    MAIN_C_12.tib (second " " )
    " "
    MAIN_C_16.tib (6th intermediate image)

As you don't change the name, when it comes around to Monday - MAIN_C_1.tib gets overwritten with the current Mondays' full image and so the process repeats. You will only have 7 files at any one time in this set.

In theory, you should also be able to replicate this by using the backup location function in TI 10/11, but some people have reported strangenesses with it.

Colin

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That's the part that is not very obvious.

How do you keep the first backup from writing inc/diffs in the second week that overwite the first weeks inc/diffs. If they do that, none of the inc/diffs will be usable because the chain has been broken. The idea is to "archive" the first week's backup (full and 6 incrementals or differentials) while the second week backup series is running.

Better yet, a third or fourth week could be added so that backups a month old are always available.

How do you set up the second weekly job, still on Monday, so that it runs a week later. Similarly, how do you set up a third or fourth weekly job.

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

1. Set up a second set of task that replicate the first one but with a slightly different name. I name mine week_1 and week_2 - purely arbitrary.

2. Set the frequency as every two weeks - this option is confusingly available if you choose the weekly option.

3. The difficult part is that you can't set the schedules up on the same week, by that I mean you can't set up both sets of schedules today as TI doesn't use a calendar for its schedules, you'd get both sets running together.

So I set them up and have one to be run manually. Once the first weeks schedules have run, on the first day of the next set, the day and time schedule can be set and then everything will run in the correct weeks.

4. With TI 11 you can also set this up under the monthly option.

Colin

8. claykin

Holy smoke. Ghost 12 has a much more elegant scheduler. Unfortunately, Ghost doesn't have an option to backup upon powerup of the PC (user must be logged in) and if it misses a backup it won't run automatically, but will give you a gentle reminder via a pop up.

Also, the file backup scheduler does not have the option for incremental. Incrementals are only available for drive imaging. And yes, Ghost still doesn't support differential.

I thought I'd like the TI Try and Decide feature, but I find it relatively useless since it cannot survive a reboot. Since about 50% of software requires a reboot and try and decide won't work for any of these apps. Maybe they'll fix this for TI12......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.