TI11 Home data backup stall

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Midnight Rambler, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler Registered Member

Just installed TI11 on a Vista premium machine and have found that program stalls while reading java file (see attachment) in doing a data backup. This has happened three times. First two times it happened, program wouldn't close so had to manually close it (via Task Manager) and rebooted twice. Third time it happened, just gave up. Bug?

Interestingly, no stall occurred during image backup.

Thanks

Screenshot - 11_28_2007 , 6_20_50 PM.gif

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. bmbwd

bmbwd Registered Member

I get same thing on a new Vista Home Premium laptop - full image backup worked fine.
    But trying to backup a number of folders that contain the data i want to backup regularly it just seems to stall part way through. I found some info on the Acronis site that said it was just a problem with the progress reporting and that the backup would complete as normal. However having waited for well over an hour on 5 occasions so far for it to backup 6.5 GB i'm not so sure - it only took 25 minutes to do the full image backup.

Wondering if my money has been wasted :(

3. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

I wish I had an answer, but some of these really sharp folks will likely do so. But, I do have a question. If you are backing up both ways on the same data, what's the point? You can always either explore or mount the image and recover a folder or individual file that way.

There are some pretty nifty, free, quick and small footprint programs out there for automatically backing up folders on a schedule you set. Acronis is kind of using a shotgun to kill a flea in that respect.

Just some suggestions, and good luck to you.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This has been reported before and I haven't heard if Tech yet understands why. It happens on XP machines too. It doesn't necessarily have to be a particular file. Changing which directories are to be backed up didn't seem to matter -- however, very short file backups ran successfully on my machine.

5. bmbwd

bmbwd Registered Member

Maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick, but my idea was that i'd do an image of the machine once i'd got all my applications loaded up and working.
    Then do a weekly full backup of emails and work related stuff.
    And then a daily incremental backup of those files.

The idea being that if anything major happens like a hard drive failing, then i can get a new drive and restore the image, the latest full backup of email and work files, then the incremental ones and i'd be back to where i was before the drive failed.

From everything i've read on the Acronis site and the True Image documentation it seems that it should be able to handle all that and indeed some testing i did on an XP system with the trial seemed to confirm that it all worked.

I've tried doing small test backups on the directories that it seems to fail on and it appears to be able to back them up ok on their own.

6. Midnight Rambler

I hear you that TI11 should function as advertised; both imaging and data backup. These are separate functions and you explained them well.

I emailed Acronis tech support and will post the results. Did you get a chance to do the same? There's power in numbers, after all.

Used TI9 imaging on a XP box with good results but never tried data backup function due to use of Backup MyPC.

Don't want to start anything but found on another forum an accusation that Acronis in general uses TI Home users as guinea pigs for corporate users. Now, that's probably the case with the majority of software companies that market to both segments. But TI10 was marketed as working with Vista so one would logically conclude that v.11 would be even more fully Vista compatible. From my experience and apparently yours also, that's not exactly the case.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  7. DigitalDragon

DigitalDragon Registered Member

TrueImage 10, TrueImage 11, and DiskDirector 10 have suddenly developed these identical symptoms my HP Pavilion Windows XP Media Center Edition desktop. I had been using TrueImage 10 with no problems since last winter, and was very happy with it.

The problems started when I added a second hard drive, installed TrueImage 11 and DiskDirector 10, and upgraded my Asus BIOS. Now, all three Acronis products freeze whenever I try to run them.

I downloaded Norton Ghost this evening on a 30 day trial. It runs fine, but I'd rather go back to using Acronis. If anyone learns anything more about how to solve this problem, I'd love to hear about it, hopefully before my 30 day trial of Norton Ghost expires and I'm forced to buy it.

8. Midnight Rambler

Acronis responds:

First of all please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home which is available at
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/)

If the issue persists we recommend you to install Acronis SnapAPI drivers update to overcome this issue.

Please install the below update with disabled logging and see whether the issue persists.

http://download.acronis.com/support/SnapAPI.337_s_e.msi

If the issue still persists, please install the downloaded update again with enabled logging, reproduce the issue and pick up the log file without closing the error window. The log file will be created on the C:\ partition. The name of this file will be snapapi[date-time].log

Anyway, please reply to this email if it turns out that the issue is not fixed in this update or some other issues arise with it. We will do everything possible in order to fix any issues you have as soon as possible.

If the issue persists could you please do the following?

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)";
    - Send us the saved file.

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us? Please compress the Acronis Report output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip) and attach to your message by browsing for the archive.
    This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

For those still interested, I'll give this a try and will post results. Hope others with the same issue will also post their results.

BTW, Acronis tech support responded in a timely manner and seems genuinely interested in problem resolution. That's half the battle.

9. shieber

The problem where ATI 11 hangs when doing a file by file backup is not something specific to windows; it happens on XP machines too. That is, it's not an incompatibility related especially to Visata,; it's something fundamental in ATI 11 regardless of the OS.

10. DigitalDragon

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've run the Acronis Report and System Information Report. Where do I send these?

I installed the SnapAPI driver, but it didn't change anything. Strangely, although I set it for report logging, no report was produced. I searched the entire C partition for filenames containing "snapapi", but all I found was the driver itself.

Three clues that might help solve why I'm having problems:
    #1: The problems began when I installed a second hard drive (Seagate). Acronis TI and DD run fine if I disconnect this drive, but when I connect it, both programs hang. TI hangs when it's searching for a partition to backup, and Disk Director hangs when it's first analyzing the hard drives.

#2: I have no problems with an external second drive connected via USB, but Acronis hangs when I move the drive inside the case and connect it via SATA.

#3: I haven't fully tested the following yet, but one workaround may be to define tasks in Windows safe mode and run them in normal mode. It appears that TI 11 will run previously defined backup tasks, but it hangs when I try to create a task. On the other hand, if I run in Windows Safe mode, then TI 11 can create a task but can't run it.

I have no problems running either Partition Magic or Norton Ghost with two internal drives, so I assume the problem is not something egregiously wrong with my partitioning.

My system is:
    HP Pavilion a1357c
    Windows XP Pro Media Center Edition (2002) SP2
    AMD 64x2 4400 Dual Core processor
    4gb RAM
    Western Digital SATA 250gb hard drive (boot)
    Seagate SATA 250gb hard drive
    ATI Radeon X1650 video card
    ZoneAlarm firewall

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  11. shieber

It's not clear that snapapi.msi actually is installing updated drivers. I have had probs trying to get snapapi (versions 337 and 342) to install on my machines too. It says it has installed jsut fine but there is no logging and no apparent change to any driver files.

If so, could be Acronis programmers are hammering out better drivers and no one can tell :-(

12. another_beta_teste

another_beta_teste Registered Member

Hi all,

yes it's funny. After installation of TI11 the complete backup of the whole system works fine, even to my external Seagate (SATA) connected via Firewire.

After that, I activated the directory backup, and then, the **** happens :mad:

Now TI11 hangs at starting at the second internal drive or (after running chkdsk on that) at the external drive ... I was only able to kill the TI11 via task manager.

The Acronis support used me as beta tester and I did a lot taks:

a) deactivate firewall and antivir programs => no change
    b) create an ISO-CD with new emergency image got by acronis => this works fine, because the emergency image starts a Linux kernel, however I can't use my Win XP by starting with ths Linux kernel :thumbd:
    c) send screenshots of running kernel, used directories, used drivers, etc. by excusing various tools provided by Acronis support
    => nothing works!

Finally the support asked me to deinstall firewall and antvir SW and then to try again if now the TI11 runs .... but I will never ever change my whole system to be a beta tester for Acronis!!!!

I'm really very disappointed by that **** SW!

Regards
    Frank

13. shieber

I don't think they meant for you to remove them permanently, but to help them maybe see what's gong on so they can fix it in ATI.

Otho, that's sort of the stock set of steps they use for tech requests re fundamental probs in ATI.

Having written them down, having them on hand, you can now predict the responses you will get the next time to submit a support request. So it's not like there's no silver lining. ;-)

14. DigitalDragon

I've been testing it further and have some more info:

1) The Acronis software doesn't hang forever; after about 20-30 minutes it resumes and functions normally. This happens every time it's started.

2) It only happens when there is an extended partition on the second hard drive. It doesn't happen when there is only a primary partition.

3) After the extended partition is created, Acronis runs fine until Windows is restarted; that's when the problem begins.

4) It doesn't happen in Windows Safe Mode.

5) In addition to happening with TI 10, TI 11, and DD 10, it happens with Echo Workstation.

It's VERY frustrating, especially after using TI 10 for so long without problems, before I added the second internal drive.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  15. DigitalDragon

It appears that I've solved the problem!

I shutdown my ZoneAlarm firewall, then I ran DiskDirector and TI11; both ran fine. I then restarted ZoneAlarm, and to my surprise, Acronis still ran fine.

I tried this early in my debugging and it didn't work then, so I can't fathom why it worked this time. Clearly something has changed.

My fingers are crossed that it keeps working. I've put way too much time into this already!

16. pluskey

pluskey Registered Member

For my curiosity, are there any error messages in the system event viewer?

Right Click My computer, select Manage. Expand Event Viewer. Two categories of interest are Application and System.

The reason I ask is that I have two systems which have had strange TI11 behavior. One system wouldn't let me access my encrypted storage after TI11 was installed, but worked fine with TI10. The event here was #2011. I forwarded the information and solution to Acronis tech support yesterday.

Another machine had a periodic error called "disk" (I don't remember the ID). This was from a driver error relating to a multi-card reader which assigns drive letters to every slot. I disconnected the card reader, and TI11 runs fine. What is interesting is that the virtual drives were not part of my TI backup set.

17. DigitalDragon

Pluskey-

I have the following:
    Under Application: Event ID 1002 for Disk Director hanging application
    Under System: Event 7000 for Acronis Scheduler2

Earlier this morning I wrote that I thought I had solved the problem by stopping and restarting my firewall. My initial optimism was unfounded. I subsequently added another logical partition which caused the problem to return, regardless whether the firewall is running or not.

Very discouraging!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  18. pluskey

I am assuming you are running the latest acronis version.

Look in the following places:

Right click My computer, select Manage. Under computer management, click to expand Services. Acronis Scheduler2 service should be near the top.

Right click Acronis Scheduler2 Service and select properties.

What is listed under "Log On"? My computers have "Local System Account" radio button selected, and "Allow service to interact with desktop" checked.

Do you have users set up on your computer? If so, and your log on is as described above, try selecting the "This Account" radio button, and enter your user name and password (if you're an administrator), or the user name and password of an administrator. See if that works.

Please let me know results since I am working around some other issues with TI11. There are clearly some bugs in TI11 that haven't been worked out yet, but since it is just out the last month or so, I guess that is not unusual. TI10 took 3 months to work out some annoying bugs.

19. DigitalDragon

pluskey-

Yes, I have the latest build.

I did as you suggested - I checked "Allow service to interact with desktop" and I added my administrative user account.

Nothing changed. Both TI11 and DD still hang.

Incidentally, early on in the debugging I reinstalled TI10, but it had the identical problem, as does Echo Workstation. TI10 is not currently installed, so I can't test it now. but I have nearly two weeks left on my Echo Workstation trial.

20. shieber

It happened to me and I don't have any extended partitions on any drives.

21. DigitalDragon

Now I have a NEW problem - I can't reinstall TI11 after removing it.

The background: when I finally got TI11 to run some backups, the validator reported that the partition image was corrupt, and when I tried running a file level backup, the program stalled halfway through and never came back to life (I waited nearly an hour).

I decided to remove all my Acronis products and to reinstall TI11, but none of them (TI11, DiskDirector,Echo Workstation) would uninstall. I tried both the Acronis installer and the Windows uninstaller. Nothing worked. It stalled every time.

Finally I removed them manually, removing all files and registry entries containing "acronis", "trueimage", "timonitor", "oss_reinstall", and "snapapi".

However, when I tried to run the installer for TI11 or DiskDirector, I got the following error message:

'Acronis installation program encountered the error #1610: "The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Conact your support personnel(0xFFF0)
    code = 8007064A
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8AF"'

Has anyone encountered this, and if so, what's the fix?

22. shieber

Did you clean out the temp files directory, the program files\acronis and program files\comon files\acronis and docs and settings allusers\acronis directories and clean the registry of all entries containing "trueimage" or "acronis"?

23. DigitalDragon

shieber-

Thanks for the suggestions, but yes, I did all that, and also cleaned out the recycle bin.

I've removed software manually before, and never had a problem like this.

EDITED TO ADD: Just in case I overlooked some temp files, after reading schieber's email I ran System Mechanic to remove all temporary and junk files. Nothing changed. I still get the message about the corrupted installation when I try to install TI11.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  24. shieber

I'm stumped -- although that's not a hard thing to achieve -- Cleaning out the temp files usually fixes the prob with an install attempt reporting a config prob.

25. pluskey

Just to be thorough here, did you scan your disk for defective files or sectors? I didn't see that step listed anywhere, and it may explain the bizarre behavior you report.

Double click My computer. Right click your hard disk. Select Properties. Select tools tab. Click Check Now. Check both boxes ("Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"). Reboot. Scan occurs first thing after reboot. May take a while, depending size of hard disk and speed.

BTW - if your physical disk is partitioned into multiple logical drives, do the procedure for each logical disk. You can schedule the scan for each. The system will probably scan any disk except your boot disk immediately. When you reboot, any postponed scans will occur then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.