TI11 bugged: forced to got back to TI10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by domg, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domg

domg Registered Member

I've just upgraded to TI11 -- but each time I have used it, I get an error msg in mid-backup, either a) telling me backup drive is full (it isn't) or there has been an error due to bad quality media (the HD is fine, no problems).

Uninstalled TI11 and returned to TI10, and all problems disappeared, backups have continued as normal since.

OK I know these probs can arise, especially with new versions. But can't they get even the basic stuff right? Did Acronis do any serious testing before release? -- or are they as usual relying on users to do the testing for them? Whatever, it's a yawn. I guess we'll just have to wait until the next upgrade for the gold standard working version.

2. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

No.
    No.
    Yes.

But don't be too harsh - we may still have the corrupt image problems (and you your own individual problems) but surely that's nothing when you get extra free options like "drive scrubber" :)

Lon

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Depends who you talk to. The basic stuff works fine for me.
    Did they do any serious testing before release ? Yes and a number of bugs were fixed.
    Do they rely on users.... ? Yes they certainly do, like most if not all other software companies. Differences in hardware - ever changing - combined with
    software mean that in practice it is meaningless to talk about software ever being finished. A point may be reached where each individual user has no problems but only until they change their hardware or add a new program.

Will you have to wait for the next upgrade ? Probably. If you are one of those
    for whom the product works straight out of the box then fine. If not then report any problems to Acronis. I know that there are those who think that bugs are ignored and that Acronis or Microsoft is running a personal campaign to destroy their data but in reality work is ongoing on new builds which are designed to fix problems and usually do.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I suppose it depends on what you mean by basic stuff.
    I regard the ability to input a schedule of daily backups, have it run once and them fail with no error report or traffic light change as pretty basic failure.
    The Try and Decide feature is a joke. It is a headline feature but it does not allow a user to try out and install a program that requires a re-boot. Basic failure? Yes.
    With V11 installed my computer showed several indications of instability including a blue screen. Never had any of these problems with V8,9,10.
    There is some backward compatibility with V10 but no forward compatibility from 10 to 11. So on removal of V11 I am left with some large backup file in a secure zone which V10 cannot see or do anything with.
    It remains to be seen if these will eventually fall out the bottom as new backups go into the zone . As it stands at the moment I only have 8 backups where previously I had 10.
    I was not able to find anything basic or otherwise that V11 does better than any of the previous versions I own. All I found were things that worked before now do not. At best the new features leave me with a wry smile.

Xpilot

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I should have mentioned above that Raid installations were recognised and worked for many users in Version 10 and possibly before. Raid support has ceased with Version 11. Basic functions work in V11? you cannot be serious.

Xpilot

6. domg

domg Registered Member

perhaps I'm being too harsh...

OK perhaps I am being too harsh. Your calmer (& more practical) view is eminently reasonable. I was indulging a moment of irritation with bugged software generally -- Acronis wasn't the only one!

I'm a long-standing Acronis TI fan -- and TI10 especially has never let me down. But I do know there are all kinds of reasons for problems: and nothing in s/w development is simple. I look forward to the next upgrade.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I appreciate Long View's rational view of the situation and he is correct on some counts. It is impossible to be on top of the new hardware releases and all the combinations and permuations of hardware and software in the PC world.

I also think TI's support of a $40 program is about as good as you will find.

However, there is no excuse for the problems foisted upon the users with TI11 such as the Raid issue and dropped hardware support. The lack of new version QA was widely criticized in TI9 and here it is again.

Because I only do manual full images of my C drive the new features mean nothing to me. If I want to Try and Decide I quickly make a Full to my internal HD, Try, Decide, and easily restore the Full if desired. Now, I don't think I could continually support a business selling a version of TI that didn't keep adding new stuff even if it was "useless".

8. Long View

I actually wrote "The basic stuff works fine for me." The words "for me" are quite significant. All any of us can do is report what has happened on our machines so yes I am serious - the basic functions work for me.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: perhaps I'm being too harsh...

I take it you meant next update. New versions are "upgrades" whilst new builds are "updates".

Regards

Menorcaman

10. domg

domg Registered Member

Re: perhaps I'm being too harsh...

yes yes yes -- update of course.

Bit hung over today :blink:

11. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Yes, not only the RAID is a big problem. What can I do as a new TI user - I bought the v11 to replace Norton Ghost and all I got is this "ALPHA" or maybe even "pre-ALPHA" version. I am afraid to install it on any computer. I tried to boot it on a new Dell Notebook - it does not recognize the hardware (no RAID inside) and crashes. What Linux do they have there? SystemRescueCD (also Linux) starts without a problem on that notebook.

I don't have TI v10 so I have to wait and hope for updates to make this program work! A couple of days ago my German v11 boxed versions arrived. I looked at the tutorial videos - of course they are not from v11, they are from v10! That's a joke to put such a thing into production :mad: BTW - why do I get only a Windows version without the features of the boxed version (boot CD, videos etc.) for the same high price in the Acronis online shop? Are they saving bandwidth or what? I am really angry!

12. DerPriester1970

DerPriester1970 Registered Member

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. jaypeecee

jaypeecee Registered Member

Hi Seekforever,

Your point is well taken. However, I'd rather pay more for a product that was fit-for-purpose than put up with products for which I have to do so much troubleshooting and still have no guarantee that they'll do what they're supposed to do. In fact, I find myself repeatedly thinking that if I really valued my time, I would simply abandon products like those we're discussing here. There are, after all, alternatives to ATI. OK, I'd have wasted $40 or $50 in the process but sometimes that's life!

JPC

14. Long View

I think that you are making an excellent point. You buy some software for the price of meal and the it doesn't work exactly as expected. 2 choices (1) report the problem and wait for a fix (2) throw it away and get another product.

Personally I have had no real problems with Acronis - but to those with problems that is of no real comfort comfort. I did try paragon and it messed up my drive letters. At the time it was a known problem to Paragon and by now they may have fixed it. Does the fact that Paragon didn't work for me make it a bad product ? I don't think so.

If sofware cost hundereds of $ I would take a different view but I think the important thing to to end up using the software that works best with your particular system and unless someone is very lucky that will mean throwing some programs away and simply moving on.

15. domg

domg Registered Member

Throw it away and move on?!

Not quite clear what you are saying, apart from the obvious.

Is the moral of all this that it's a waste of time complaining?

You mean, if a software house sells you a dog's dinner, just stay quiet, throw it away, and "move on"?

Hmmmm...

16. TVH

TVH Registered Member

You realise most of the virtualisation softwares that are available such as Power Shadow or VMware are also useless with programs requiring reboot.

17. Long View

The best way to test as far as I am aware is to either
    (1) make an Acronis Image, load the program, test the program and then restore the Acronis Image or
    (2) Use FD-ISR to make a new snap shot and install to that - deleting the snap shot when finished.

Even so there are still quite a few programs ( AV and AS especially) that don't require a reboot - so try before you buy might help here. DeepFreeze 6 and Returnil (free) would, of course, do the job just as well if not better.

EDIT: should add that 11 still working fine for me. I don't have RAID nor use VISTA so make perfectly good full images which restore fine. I also use 10
    9 and 9.1 on other machines. Not a lot to choose between any of them for me as I only use the main functions.

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software

To domg:

We'd like to inform you that in most cases issues with corrupt backups are related to the particular hardware/software settings. Unfortunately, we can't test our software with absolutely every peace of hardware, as hardware market is rapidly changing and new devices often appear on the market after the software is released.

In any case, most likely the solution for the issue with corrupt archive in Acronis True Image 11 Home can be found by Acronis Customer Service. Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support if you wish Support to give this issue a closer investigation. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appeared and the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue thoroughly and try to provide you with a solution.

To Xpilot:

We will also be glad to fix any RAID issues that occur using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post nd submit a request for technical support if you wish Support to give this issue a closer investigation.

Also many thanks to everyone for the provided feedback. This is very important for us and we will do our best to make Acronis True Image as hardware/software-independent as possible.

Thank you.

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

19. domg

domg Registered Member

Re: TI11 bugged: forced to go back to TI10

Hi -- All I can say is that everything works fine in TI10, but doesn't work fine in TI11.

I really don't have the time or the energy to make you bug reports.

It must be something pretty obvious.

dom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.