TI10 Recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by adrichardson, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrichardson

adrichardson Registered Member

Hi! I recently built a new computer, and decided to ditch Ghost 9 in favour of TI 10 (not least cos of the Vista support). I did a test restore of my system partition when I first installed TI (which worked fine), but haven't restored since then. I recently ran into a problem and decided to restore my system partition. I was prompted to reboot.

Acronis tried to launch the boot loader on reboot, but hung at the first page of text. This happened at the same place when I tried to boot using the recovery CD.

(Hopefully this will make more sense to you than me)

$ /bin/insmod iswraid
    using /lib/modules/iswraid.o
    Iswarid: Intel(TM) Software Raid Driver Version 0.1.5
    Iswraid: Options: iswraid_halt_degraded=0, iswraid_resist_failing=1, iswraid_error_threshold=10
    Iswraid: Probed 2 SCSI disks, found 0 ISWRAID disks
    init_module: iswraid
    Unknown error19
    $ /bin/insmode usbcore
    Using /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    Usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    $ /bin/insmod usb-ohci
    using /lib/modules.usb-ohci
    (at this point it hung - nothing happened after this).

I successfully managed to restore using the BartPE plugin, but I can't work out what's causing the problem. The only hardware I've changed since I did the test restore was adding a Belkin pcie USB card.

Specs:
    E6400 (overclocked to 3.2ghz - tested at stock with the same error)
    2gb ddr2 800
    Gigabyte 965 DS4 (F8 bios)
    7900gs
    2x sata2 hard drives.

The loader probes 2 scsi devices (which presumably are my hard drives), but doesn't seem to do anything with them. They're running in AHCI mode, not raid. Like I said, the only thing I've added is the USB card but I don't use any USB hard drives, so I don't think that's the problem.

First question - anything I can do about this?
    Second question - I'm planning on installing Vista fairly soon. Does the BartPE method still work under Vista x64? I'll probably dual boot for a while, so could I use XP x86 to restore Vista without going through the reboot?

Cheers!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

And what happens if you remove the Belkin USB card?

3. adrichardson

I didn't actually try, to be honest... I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I really don't want to dismantle half my rig every time I have to restore (I do a fair bit of driver testing for a graphics site, so I usually restore every couple of weeks or so).

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Of course you wouldn't want to uninstall and reinstall the Belkin, but other PCI USB 2.0 cards are available (I've had good luck with the Adaptec brand) that probably won't cause any trouble.

Let us know what happens.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil Registered Member

Try using just the Safe version of Acronis from the boot CD. It loads fewer drivers and may not have a problem with your Belkin.

6. adrichardson

Hmm, didn't think of using the safe mode (I kind of figured more drivers were better :rolleyes: ) I'll test the safe disk, and see what happens when I remove the card.

@ jmk94903 - sadly I'm forced into using the Belkin card. My motherboard's only got 2 pci slots, and my X-Fi and tv tuner use them, so I'm pretty much tied to pcie. I'm in the UK, and from the looks of things the only pcie usb card on the market is the Belkin.

Does anyone know whether I could use Bartpe to restore a Vista x64 drive?

7. adrichardson

Right - tried removing the USB card and had the same error, so that can't be the culprit. I'll try the safe cd and see what happens with that.

8. adrichardson

Nice one mate - it worked a treat! No idea why the original cd doesn't work any more though, particularly since I've ruled out any hardware changes.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello adrichardson,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please create a new Bootable CD using the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home and see if the issue persists? To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists, please try booting with "quiet nousb" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post (use "quiet nousb" parameter instead of "quiet acpi=off noapic").

If the issue still persists, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

I would also recommend that you have a look at this previous post of mine to find the description of the safe variant of the standalone version of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. adrichardson

Thanks - I'll have another play with it. This is a great product, so hopefully this'll make things a bit easier!

11. adrichardson

Good news/bad news situation...

The good news is the cd I burnt now boots fine into the recovery environment. The bad news is build 4940 won't create a valid image, or crashes with a runtime error when I try image/restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.