TI10 boot disk wont work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fusion1296, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fusion1296

fusion1296 Registered Member

hi all ,
    i have been using TI10 for the past 2 years and have made and recovered images to a Hard drive in a caddy in my PC ( which i then take offsite for security ) i have done this using the boot cd in the safe mode as i have not needed the advance drivers .
    i now no longer want to use the caddy solution as i have a NAS and USB harddrives , i can perform a backup no problem from within a windows environment but i cant restore the backup at all using the boot cd in advanced mode , it sees the NAS but crashes while its restoring , as i result of this i copied the image file to my USB harddrive but with this plugged in and the advanced boot option selected the PC crashes before completing the boot .
    it seems a great product for backups but not so good for restores , defeating the whole point really .
    if i take the HD out of the USB enclosure and put it in my drive caddy and then use the safe option all works fine but that is a pain in the bum .
    any suggestions as to the best way forward , i have tried 3 USB harddrives so cant afford to try anymore and tried 2 different NAS drives all the same results , seems to me that the boot disk is not doing its job , i have burnt 6 of these using different PC's and burning software .
    hope someone can help me , thanks

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

In cases like these A Bart PE CD with a Version 10 TI Plugin usually seems to do the trick. There are several How To articles and posts to be found on these pages.

I also use swappable main hard drives in caddy drawers. I went this route nearly two years ago because I found it far more convenient, faster and more secure than using external storage drives. Perhaps you have been using yours in a different way to mine.

As brief as I can :-
    Full images to an internal backup image drive. Done in Windows by schedule. Very fast and reliable. Never bother with validations because the next steps are to swap over main drives and run a restore from the standard recovery CD. I actually use three HDDs in the main drive rotation.

Xpilot

3. fusion1296

HI Xpilot
    thanks for you very quick reply .
    yes i use the same system as you , caddies and 3 HD one i backup to and the others i rotate in a similar way that you do, that way i always have 2 working copies of my whole PC and a backup offsite , this works fine .
    my girlfriend didnt like the look of the great big tower with all the caddies so i went the NAS route and USB harddrives ,( i changed my case for someting much smaller ) this is when my problems started as i cant restore from the NAS or the USB drives .
    i guess the BArt thing is the way to go, is it an easy thing to do as i am not that good with technical stuff .

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

This will show you the way to Bart PE heaven :).
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162424
    It is not as hard as it seems at first sight, I only made one coaster.

Another temp fix would be to get out the tinsel,baubles and holly to disguise the tower as Santa's Grotto.
    My permanent solution was to fix the tower to the underside of my PC table where I can easily reach the drawers but it is mainly hidden from view.

Xpilot

5. fusion1296

hi Xpilot
    the christmas decorations seem the best option right now :) i know its not an easy job but hard to understand how a company can make a backup product that cant restore an image easily .
    will give the bart thing a go , thanks
    one more question , if i want to build a bart disk and use the bart option that comes with my TI10 where and how do i find that , i understand from the guide that it has to go in a folder before i build my bart but where is it o_O

thanks

6. erlee

erlee Registered Member

>>> i now no longer want to use the caddy solution as i have a NAS and USB harddrives <<<<

use the caddy solution.

NAS & USB drives will give you headache no end. i have been thru 4 makes of diff. usb devices. no good. unrealiable. the linux loader freaks out all the time. Using BartPE helps with connectivity issues but the AT plugin craps out unable to recognise *.tib files complaining they are corrupted when infact they are not.

i 'd rather use nas & usb too but AT 10 does not cut it with these devices.

7. fusion1296

hi erlee,
    thanks for your advice the problem i have is i have just got a new case , nas and 2 USB drives so i have spent lots of money so cant go back now really.
    also i have a laptop now which cant have a caddy i always assumed that a backup program had the ability to restore an image , silly assumption i guess .

8. erlee

erlee Registered Member

the backup program will work 98% of the time (meaning i have only encountered 1 crapped-out out of the 20-30 odd backups/restores i have done in past 2 weeks - testing each of the 4 usbs..)

the restore routine is where it all goes pear shape - when it comes to AT RESTORING *.tib files from the linux program.

I bet all that ".tib file corrupted" message may not be entirely true. but how many is - i won;t care to second guess.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi erlee,Sorry I meant FUSION 1296 !

Too late now I know but you could have kept the tower and changed the GF !

Changing HDDs on a laptop depends on the way it is put together in the first place. The one used by 'er indoors can have its drive changed in seconds. It slides into place and is held by a single screw. The trick is to get hold of a spare cover and HDD sub frame for a spare drive.

I still think that a Bart PE will get you out of trouble with your USB drive. There is plenty of help and advice to be had here though I am not up to speed in Bart creation because the last one I made was nearly two years ago and I no longer use USB drives for backups.

The standard TI setup can and does work with many different USB drives on many PC and laptops. It has worked for me since Version 8. The main reasons I changed to Caddy working was shorter restore times and completely unattended backups.
    I reckon, if you have the patience, you should raise a ticket with Acronis customer services for direct email support so that they can provide whatever is needed to get TI working as it should.

In the meantime you could test your recovery CD on the laptop that is if you have not had enough already :doubt: .

Xpilot

10. fusion1296

hi Xpilot
    i thought of changing the GF but decided that would cost more than the PC bits :doubt:

i am not sure if my licence covers multiply PC but as an experiment i have used my USB drives to back up and restore on 3 laptops now , i have had no sleep for a day now been a busy boy :( this seems to work fine , but not in my new tower , i assume from this that the chipset in the USB drives are fine and it must be the USB controller on the MB of my main PC ( the only one i really need to backup ) ,as PCI - USB controllers are dirt cheap on ebay , i have ordered one with a via chipset to see if that will work , if not there are other chipsets i can try , they only cost about £7 delivered so its worth a try .
    i have searched the forums high and low and also the website for a list of supported chipsets when using the recovery CD , cant find one ,have i missed one ??

thanks for your help and advice :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.