TI won't create image - says partition in use or corrupt

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by donswin, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donswin

donswin Registered Member

I have a full backup and several incrementals from which I had to restore recently. I am now trying to create a new full backup but TI says my partition is in use by another process or is corrupt.

I have run chkdsk /r on the partition and run SpinRite deep sector scanning and repair. There is nothing wrong with the disk.

Any resident processes are the same ones that have always been running when I made backups.

Any ideas how I can get TI to make a full backup now?

Thanks!

Don S

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

1. Have you tried making a full backup from the Recovery CD? I'm not suggesting this as a solution, but it's a useful diagnostic and may also provide an interim backup.

2. Have you tried uninstalling TI, rebooting and reinstalling it?

Did you use the SecureZone or the Startup Recovery Manager features of TI?

A bit more info on your hardware would be helpful. Also, where are you trying to create the images?

3. donswin

1. No, good idea.
    2. I'll try that after suggestion #1
    3. Have not used those features. Use create image wizard only.

Machine is home made Athlon 1800+ with 512mg RAM and Windows 2000.

I back up to a USB external drive attached to another machine and shared. For the restore, using the TI boot cd, I had to connect to a usb port on this machine.

Partition Magic was used to create and size the partitions.

There was a previous dual boot with Linux that got a corrupt file & doesn't work. Now that Windows boots directly (bypassing the Grub bootloader), I intend to remove the Linux partitions & play with Linux on a separate machine.

Thanks!

Don S

PS: I'm using TI 8.0 & can't find a version comparison. Is there much to be gained by upgrading versions?

4. jmk94903

OK, let us know about 1. and 2.

You are doing things the way I would - not using the SZ or Startup Manager which makes the system easier.

Did the Linux partition exist when you made the image that restored successfully? I'm wondering whether something in that partitions boot loader is what is bothering TI. As long as you plan on deleting that partition anyway, I'd do that and see if it helps.

5. donswin

I booted from the Recovery CD and tried to back up the entire hard drive. It hung up on partition E (I have C,D,&E) showing 1 hour 20 minutes remaining for several hours. I cancelled and had it back up C: successfully.

The Linux system was installed at the time of my first image. It is now removed & I'm getting the same error that caused me to restore in the first place: Stop Error 0x00007B inaccesible_boot_device. I suspect that is due to the fact that the Linux boot partition that previously handled the entire boot process is no longer there.

If I boot from a floppy and execute fdisk /mbr, I can reboot and get into windows. But it doesn't retain the boot sector so I'll have to read up on how to restore it on drive C.

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling TI tomorrow, but I don't think that will resolve the problem. When I try to create a partition image from windows, I get an error: E00070021 Cannot create the image of the logical dirve D: because it is currently in use by running applications or the logical dirve contains bad sectors.

I have ruled out bad sectors with several utilities, so my next task will be to see what TI thinks is using my partitions. I have nothing resident that wasn't there when I previously ran images.

I appreciate your help. As with all software, I've found better help from other users than the vendors.

Thank You,

Don S

6. jmk94903

Double check that the partitions are identified the same way in Windows and Linux. I always name partitions (i.e. C=Boot, D=Data, E=Backup, etc.) since the drive order can differ in the two operating systems. I wonder if E which hangs the image in Linux is D in Windows?

That sounds logical.

Since FDISK /MBR rplaces the MBR, you may need to delete all the partitions on the drive and repartition it to solve the problem. C is no problem since you can image it, but D and E may be difficult unless they are just data which you can copy before deleting the partitions.

This is certainly strange, but good luck in finding out what is preventing the drive from being locked for imaging.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Don,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ in order to see how it works on your computer.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing the trial version.

If the problem still persists then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging.

If that doesn't help then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.