TI to External USB HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kreidicp, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreidicp

kreidicp Registered Member

Hi

DELL Dimension 4400 Home XPSP2 , no home network

Upgraded to TI 8.0 in August , was using CD-RW's for .tibs

Just bought plain Maxtor 3100 (not One-Touch ) 80 GB External HD USB 2.0 (pre-formatted to FAT32 but I reformatted to NTFS)

All background programmes closed etc

Maxtor's own Diagnostic Tool says this HD working fine. So does Device Manager .

Tried my TI 8.0 771build first. 4.0gb .tib of normal compression would write
    in 1 minute.
    Got following ERROR MESSAGE during write
    E00070001 Internal error unhandled exception

Decided to download latest TI 786 build.

Now states 4.0GB .tib of normal compression will take 2 hours to write !!! To a 2.0 USB !o_O??

On the Ext HD , disk cacheing is enabled for Performance Optimisation (through Policies in Properties ).

Nothing else on my Ext HD, bought it JUST for True Image .tibs

Uninstalled 786 and re-installed, same thing .

Totally confused , any help much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any time you can spend to help

thank you
    ken

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. ???

??? Guest

Sounds like you don't have a USB 2.0 controller loaded or drive is plugged into
    a usb1 port or usb cable is not 2.0 compliant..I have a Dell 4500 with XP pro sp2 and write over 13gb to a maxtor 60gb drive in a generic usb 2.0 case at
    full speed using TI8.0.776..Just do a windows copy of some files and see what speed they go over at..

4. glicht

glicht Registered Member

I have a similar setup to yours and I get the 2 hour messagebut then it quickly begins to decrease the time required and it finishes in a reasonable amout of time.I suggest that you try it again and ait a few minutes and see if the same thing happens to you
    G Licht

5. kreidicp

Thankyou Guest and Glicht for your time and thoughts

My Device Manager shows 5 USB Controllers
    2 UHC , a 2442 and a 2444
    2 USB Root Hubs
    and one recent addition , auto placed by Maxtor/Windows I suspect , for a USB Mass Storage Device ( a specific driver for the 3100 I suppose )

My USB cable came in the Maxtor box , so I presume it is 2.0 compliant ( as the product is sold as a 2.0 with backward compliance to a 1.1 ).

I used Windows Explorer to copy a 22MB file onto the Ext HD and it appeared to take around 22 seconds , suggesting a 1.1 transfer rate o_O
    I have connected my 2.0 to a front port on the Dell Dimension 4400 . Is that the same for you please Glicht ?

Any further help would be much appreciated .

Ilya , I have done as you asked.

thanks
    ken

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

It would appear that your motherboard specs do not indicate USB 2.0. I believe you will have to buy a USB 2.0 Add-in card.

7. kreidicp

Thank you beenthereb4 and others for your replies

Dell now tell me I need a PCI 2.0 card . I will buy shortly and try . I post this for the benefit of others who will go through this frustration

However, when I tried an image yesterday , hoping my backward compliant EXT HD would trfr at 1.1 speed, guess what . 1.5 hours for a 4.0 Gb compressed ,tib.
    That doesn't seem right ?

My Windows Explorer file copy only seemed to go over at 1MB a second too ?

Thanks
    ken
    Any thoughts welcome

8. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

That time is good for a 1.1 image! But, don't worry. It will seem like lightning speed when you get your 2.0 card!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.