TI Home V12 Not the last volume in archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mayaman, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayaman

mayaman Registered Member

Hello,

I have made a backup of my hard-disks as I realized that one of them was not working properly.

This is how it looked:
    SCSI (disabled)
    IDE (Win XP 64)
    IDE (programms&data)

I pluged the hard-disk on my other computer and copied the backup-image. Back on my main-computer I copied the backup-image back again and opened it to see if all is working fine. (my second Computer is a Linux-System, I copied it to my main-computer by mounting a samba-network-drive).

I could open the image and copied some files out of it and opend them in my primary application and everything was fine.

After that I setup the computer to my likening

SCSI (Linux(boot))
    --SATA (Win XP 64)
    --SATA (data)

installed everything and copied the backup-image on my data-disk. Now if I want to open the file it says "This is not the last volume in archive".

But I didnt split the backup. I updated "True Image", tried to get it back on the running system and via boot-disc. Always the same error-message. So I used the error message and searched the internet. But among the few hits most of them where about splitted archives which I dont have. The others where solved by pm.

Is there any chance to get my data out of the image?
    It would be pretty hard for me to lose a 6-months-work.

Sincerely yours
    mayaman

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mayaman,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

If I correctly understand you, we are speaking about a single backup file that was transferred several times from one computer to another. And now you are unable to retrieve the necessary information from it.

Create Acronis Booting rescue media and try to recover the required files under it. Try to move the backup file to another hard drive and see if the issue remains.

Use Mount or Explore options as an alternate way to retrieve the data (these options are available under Windows only).

Validate the archive to check the file for corruption.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. mayaman

Yes, thats correct, a single backup of 3 hard-disks
    The backup was copied to my 2nd computer, copied back to the first-one, opened it and copied some project-files out of it and opened it (for testing-reasons). So it was still working.

Then I made a new OS-installtion at the first-one and copied the backup back again. Now I could not open the backup.

I copied via sftp, scp and samba to the first and the second SATA-drive by running system and via boot-disc. But I didnt play through all possible constellations.

It says now the image is corrupt but it was not touched since the first test (just copy). Well, I did a move (mv) to the samba-drive (was same hd) and chown'ed the file but I m not sure if this might have caused the problem.

When I explore the image it says that it is "used by an other process or corrupted" (windows-explorer). when I try to open it with True Image it says "this is not the last volume in archive" and if I try to mount it, it says the image is corrupted.

Thank you very much for your time.

4. Acronis Support

Hello mayaman,

For some reason checksum of the volume has been changed during the operations you were performed.

Probably it was some connection dropout, or some file corruption. Anyway, it's complicated to determine the exact cause.

First of all, please make sure that archive is copied to NTFS\FAT 32 partition of internal drive and you're accessing it from the same machine. Then check whether you can validate it successfully from CD version of our program.

If the process fails, you will not be able to retrieve data from the archive. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

5. mayaman

Hello Mr. Nikolsky,

all hdds except the scsi-drive have NTFS-File-Format. The backup is always copied to the second SATA-drive.

I did some research regarding the operations I performed with the backup on my linux-machine which I could extract successfully before I reinstalled windows on the other one. As I said, there has been just 2 operations which was a move to the samba-directory and changing the owner. Both operations only effect the inode. So it seems to me that none of the operations I performed conclude to a corrupted archive.

6. Acronis Support

Hello mayaman,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

We can check the integrity of the archives in the following way:

- Download a free checksum utility from http://www.irnis.net/files/xcsci.exe
    - Unpack and run the application. Browse and select the backup archive;
    - Click the "Start" button;
    - Write out the MD5 value.

Reproduce all copy/paste operations and obtain the MD5 value again and compare it with the first one.

This will help to localize the issue.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.