TI Home 2009 sata drives disappear in BIOS

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cchase, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cchase

cchase Registered Member

I have 2 SATA drives and 1 IDE drive. When I try to backup my C: SATA drive to my other SATA drive I get an error message like "file not found". I then look at My Computer and both SATA drives no longer appear. I shut-down and restart but it fails to restart Windows. I look in the BIOS and both SATA drives no longer appear. It is trying to boot from the IDE drive which does not have Windows system files. The only way to recover is to unplug my computer, and then plug it in again. The the BIOS shows the SATA drives, and it boots normally. This happens every time. Did not have any problem with previous TI Home versions.
    Any idea why this happens?
    How to fix it?

Running XP Home on an ASUS pentium motherboard.

Chip

2. NBAustin

NBAustin Registered Member

"How to fix it?"

Get your money back and buy something else. True Image Home is pure, unadulterated garbage that doesn't work.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cchase,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

Acronis True Image Home 2009 supports the following operating systems:

* Windows XP SP 2, SP 3
    * Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    * Windows Vista (all editions)

We can’t guarantee stability using Acronis True Image Home 2009 on Windows XP Home because this operating system is not supported. As workaround you can install (temporarily) Acronis True Image Home 2009 on any supported operating system then create Acronis bootable disc and use it to backup and restore Windows XP Home.

See user guide for more information about Acronis bootable media.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I find this hard to believe. Your supported OS list says XP, it doesn't say XP Professional only.

TI2009 does work on my XP Home.

5. seekforever

Apparently XP will drop drives when it can't access them.

Look in the XP Event Viewer for any messages relating to HD problems.

It can be a cable, power (and power cable), bad drive or SATA controller issue as well.

Run chkdsk X: /r on all of the partitions on both drives. Replace the X with the drive letter of the partition being tested. Reboot likely required for C.

Try running the disk manufacturer's diagnostic program.

Can you restore an earlier image which includes the older version of TI and see if it still works?

Using the TI CD version may also provide a clue since it takes the Windows OS, other than NTFS, out of the equation.

6. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Dmitry's post doesn't make sense. XP Home comes in four flavours, the original version, and SP1, 2 and 3 versions. They are all however still XP Home.

I think some clarification is necessary

Attached Files:

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Acronis True Image Home 2009 does support Windows XP Home, Dmitry mixed up Acronis True Image Home 2009 with the corporate versions of Acronis True Image, where the remote management is unavailable for Windows XP Home because of the limitations of this OS.

Also, I doubt that the initial issue was caused by Acronis software.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

8. cchase

cchase Registered Member

check my original post. Not only do the 2 SATA drives dissappear when in windows, TI 2009 also screws up my BIOS. I can only recover by completely unplugging my computer, then plug it in again.
    This happens every time to try using TI 2009 to backup my SATA drive.
    How can this happen?

--Chip

9. cchase

cchase Registered Member

check my original post. Not only do the 2 SATA drives dissappear when in windows, TI 2009 also screws up my BIOS. I can only recover by completely unplugging my computer, then plug it in again.
    This happens every time to try using TI 2009 to backup my SATA drive.
    NOTE: this never happened when using any previous version of TI Home on this computer, including versions 9 and 10.
    How can this happen?

--Chip

10. seekforever

DId you successfully use TI9 and 10 on exactly this same hardware configuration with the SATA drives?

What is your motherboard model?

Googling the issue showed one person solved the problem of drives dropping out of BIOS (nothing to do with TI) by updating the BIOS. Another one said updating BIOS did nothing but adding a SATAII card fixed it.

Is your motherboard SATA "1" only or is it SATA2? If it is SATA1 see if the drives themselves have a jumper position to throttle them back to SATA1. They all used to but now new drives may not. SATA2 drives are supposed to be backwards compatible but it was known to cause problems on some systems.

Do you literally have to unplug the computer or do you just power down, or perhaps you can't turn off the machine? If you do a warm boot, which means the power does not go to zero (off) then there likely is no hardware reset on the processor or other components which could be why the drives are not detected after "going away" for whatever reason.

11. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Reading the above posts I find it hard to believe that the problem you are having is related to True Image. As suggested by seekforever a BIOS update might be appropriate. True Image no doubt puts a lot of stress on the system and any weak point in the system might break. Voltages out of specification might be a cause. Memory modules that fail when stressed could be an issue. Run memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso) to confirm that the memory is OK. Run it over night if possible. I've seen errors show up after 20 passes. There should be no errors reported.

One can never totally rule out any software application but your issue appears to be hardware related. Does this issue occur when using the application in Windows or when using the Rescue Media CD or both?

Bruce

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.