TI Home 11 - PAINFULLY SLOW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whoit, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoit

whoit Registered Member

I'm trying to back up a laptop (IBM ThinkPad T30, USB 1.0)
    and it is incredibly slow. So far, it's taken almost 3 hours to back up 18GB
    and it's not done yet.
    In fact, it's still on Operation 1 - Creating Partition Image.
    It hasn't even transferred any data to the backup drive yet!

I have the priority set to High, and the machine is doing nothing else.

I'm at my wit's end. If this takes more than 3 hours to restore, then
    I'll have a cow.

WTF?

2. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

I have True Image 9 and speed is not a problem, so later versions should be just as good. Your speed problem is most likely hardware related. Your post said USB 1, so that is your bottle neck!

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

USB1 is theoretically 40 times slower than USB2. If we assume you could backup 18GB in 20 minutes using USB2 then your machine would take 800 minutes or over 13 hours.

If your machine has a DVD drive you could consider trying it as a backup media either directly or indirectly (make a copy on the HD and then copy it to the DVD). For 18GB, CDs are too small to be practical.

Other option if possible is to buy a USB2 PC card.

4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Try setting up a network connection with a desktop and save the image there. USB 1.0 is waaaaay to slow for backing up a drive. It might be OK for incrementals though, if the data on your drive is organized properly and doesn't change a lot.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all ,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

There are several ways you can try to check whether it’s hardware or software issue. First create Acronis bootable disc (Tools -> Media Builder) and see if the time is the same. Also what is the backup status, if operation succeeded without any errors then the most probable reason is USB 1.0. try to save backup to another storage location ,e.g. internal drive.

If the issue remains with write support request using the following link http://www.acronis.com/company/contacts/request/index.html?t=2

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.