TI has a problem with 3rd party disk tools

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MarkyPooh, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkyPooh

MarkyPooh Guest

Currently Im using "Powerquest PartitionMagic 8" on several of my systems to resize the drives once they are created. In very case, once the drive is resized with the tool, TI is unable to backup the drive.

All my drives are running NTFS and using the last 3builds of TI. builds 826/889/903

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I frequently use both PM 8 and TI 8 (bootable CD) without any problem.
    What symptoms or error message do you get?

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I've created and resized partitions on IDE drives with PQMagic 6 without any problem with TI.

What sort of drives are you repartitioning?

4. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

I have Partition Magic version 8.01 build 1274 running under XP SP-2, and True Image 8 build 903. TI has no problems backing up and restoring partitions that have been modified by PM, whether FAT32 or NTFS.

I backup to a separate hard drive, either internal SATA or external USB. I recover via the bootable CD, although a non-sytem partition might be recoverable from within XP.

Note that after using PM I always reboot the PC at least once, lest the BIOS be confused about the size of things and/or how many partitions I have. I also run CHKDSK both before and after running PM. PM can do strange things if the file system has any errors. Normally it refuses to work, if it senses errors, but I rather not take that chance.

I have simple disks, not RAIDed disks, nor compressed disks.

5. MarkyPooh

MarkyPooh Guest

Ill take a look and try running CHKDSK tonight.
    What Ive been doing.
    ---------------------------------
    - OS drive
    - 114gig with OS(Windows XP+SP2)(disable all drive recovery within XP) then install TrueImage.
    - Create TrueImage Image of drive to a file
    - resize drive with TI to allow for the 56gig Secure Zone image store
    - resize OS drive down to 15gigs with PartitionMagic version8
    - Try to create new image and TrueImage constantly fails with drive inuse or disk error message.

what I have tried in the past.
    - using the disk tools Ive run full scans on the drive and it reports no errors.
    - watch all system processes to see whats inuse and find nothing running

Restore TrueImage Image from the file

--------------------------------------------------
    I did not see these errors until I upgrade to the last few updated releases. version 826 and earlier releases did not cause this issue.

6. MarkyPooh

MarkyPooh Guest

sorry.. ment using versions before 826 did not see the issue I currently am seeing.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MarkyPooh,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try the following workaround:

- Open Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
    - Open Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management
    - Close Disk Management
    - Run Acronis True Image and try to create an image

If the problem remains please create Acronis Report and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Oleg Shegay

8. MarkyPooh

MarkyPooh Guest

Done and sent the report.

9. MarkyPooh

MarkyPooh Guest

Follow up to this since I resolved the issue and support was zippy help.

Hitachi creates a tool called fdtool(feature Disk Tool)
    Some time ago I used this tool to resize my drives actual space. This is done by changing the actual drive and not by partitioning.

Anyway.. I logicly thinking that drives are sized the same as everything else based on 1024.. I created my drive sizes based on this count.

Turns out that drives are based off a 1000 count.
    (Gig size)*1000*1000*1000/512
    ex. 120g*1000*1000*1000/512=234375000

in my case my drives were sized with
    120g*1024*1024*1024/512=251658240

since the disk size was off it was showing to TI as a drive error when it really was not.

10. jmk94903

Thank you for letting us know what the problem was.

That's one heck of a great tool that Hitachi provides that lets you set a drive's size larger than it physically is witout any warning or alarms going off. I assume the jerk that wrote that code always wanted to be 6' 2'' tall but is only 5' 3".

I think the F in FD Tool must stand for something other than Feature considering what it did to your disk.

11. i've resized an ntfs partition with ntfsresize and fdisk, and now ti8 shows the partition as broken.

12. jmk94903

I don't know what ntfsresize is, but fdisk only works if you delete a partition and then create a new partion.

Since you obviously didn't delete your boot partition, I suggest that you delete the partition that is "broken," and recreate it with either FDISK or Disk Management in Windows XP.

Let us know your progress.

13. drac

drac Registered Member

I had a problem with TI8 and Partition Magic. There were a couple of recent threads here about it.

Acronis support just emailed me saying the problem is not theirs and I should try and contact support at Partition Magic.

I was able to work around the problem - whoever is responsible - by using TI8 to create a secure zone on the drive and THEN using PM to partition the drive. I can remove the secure zone if I want after that and the drive will be useable by both.

Note that I had no problems using both of these programs together on my old system - it is just my new system - a Dell 9100 with 160 GB SATA drive that has the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.