TI & Firewire 800 (1394B)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bctrophy, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bctrophy

bctrophy Registered Member

I currently use a 160-Gb LaCie d2 External Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface, which uses USB (both kinds), Firewire 400 and Firewire 800. I installed a firewire 800 card and currently move my important files to the LaCie about once a week, just using windows explorer. I would guess it would take 2 weeks to copy the entire contents of my computer to the LaCie using this method, hence my interest in TI. Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues or bad experiences with Firewire 800 (1394B) and TI?

2. brandis

brandis Registered Member

Why it takes 2 weeks?? Firewire 400 can transfer theoreticaly 50MB/sec. so you 160GB should be full in 53.3 minutes, even if you say its only half on the theoratical maximum.. 25MB/sec. the ext. HD with 160GB its full in 106.67 min.

3. bctrophy

Wow, never thought about it. I takes about 3½ minutes to copy 500 mb, so I figured my 30 gb hard drive contents would take a really long time. What I'm wondering is if TI copies files any faster than if I just did C: \ Select All \ Copy \ Paste to external hd. I guess I don't fully understand the advantage of using a program such as TI, even after reading all the specs. Any education would be appreciated!!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bctrophy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please note that Acronis True Image is the software that allows you to perform the system back up (including your operational system) and it is different from just copying files to another location. However the speed of the file transmission is defined mainly by your hardware rather than by the software that performs file copying.

If you have further questions concerning Acronis True Image please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. bctrophy

Ilya,

Would you say that it is faster to backup files than it is to copy the same files to another device? I am more secure with simply copying files than I am with creating a backup file, because of the added step of restoring. To me the only advantage of the backup/restore method would be speed, if such an advantage even exists. What I'm looking for software to do is to provide more advanced options than Windows Explorer, such as not overwriting unmodified files or scheduling file copying. Does TI offer these options, even if I want to simply copy files (or my entire HD contents) to an external HD?

Also, are there any known issues with your software and Firewire 800?

6. brandis

brandis Registered Member

I dont have any info about Firewire800.
    But what you are talking about is saving some files (f.e. word.doc...) to a disk in an automatic manner. For this you can use the integrated backup of WINDOWS (of cause it can NOT make you a copy of your windows operation system).
    TI can only do images of drives and partitions, you can not select files!

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bctrophy,

You may create incremental images which include only sectors that were changed. However Acronis software is not file-based. It means that if you defragment your disk without data change the sector content changes and Acronis True Image will decide that changes were made though actually files were not changed. You may also schedule back up creation.

As for Firewire 800, we haven't heard of any issues with it. You may download free trial version from our site http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ If you encounter any problems using it with your hardware please contact support@acronis.com. We will try to solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.