TI Enterprise ver 8.0 and Veritas 9.1

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kballuk, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kballuk

kballuk Registered Member

Hi,

Just started to use the ver 8.0, noted the suggestion that incremental is a good appraoch.

On that subject I am also using Veritas 9.1 with the Intelligent Disaster Recovery option, just in case. Does TI reset the archive bit, or rely on file modification times to determine what to add to an incremental image.

Is there any reason not to use another backup solution, in case when I try to restore a dead server to another same brand box with same hardware config the image does not restore or is deemed corrupt, despite being validated by TI itself. Also, I guess if you were doing a once weekly TI of all drives, you could restore and then update from a later tape. I use an external USB 2.0 hard drive to store images, which are always validated.

Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kballuk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Enterprise Server (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATIESWin/).

Please note that Acronis True Image is sector-based, not file-based software. It means that it archives sectors rather than files and checks whether the checksum for the sector matches one that was created before. If it does Acronis True Image doesn't include this sector in the image.

Could you please describe a little clearer the problem you have described in the second passage of your post?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. kballuk

kballuk Registered Member

Hi Ilya,

For Disaster Recovery purposes we have identical cold servers, that can be brought into production if we have a major problem with a production machine.

The reason I went for TI was that it seemed to offer a quicker and more complete restore process than something like Veritas Intelligent Disaster Recovery, which has several limitations especially when as in our shop we are using SBS 2003 and thus have Exchange 2003, ISA server and SQL 2000 running on the same box. By the way I always do my images and verification from the linux side and not via the Windows side.

As a safeguard I am still maintaning a backup regime with Veritas 9.1 in the event TI fails to restore an image if we have to use one of the cold servers, this has not been tested yet but will be over the next week or two. I currently store all TI images on a 120Gb USB external drive with all images verified by TI booted under linux.

I hope the above better explains our approach, put simply if the production SBS 2003 goes bang I want to bring in an identically specified box, restore the image or use Veritas IDR and get the uses back doing productive work.

Thanks for any input on important subject.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kballuk,

I might have misunderstood your previous post. I thought you had encountered some problem and apparently you are just seeking for the information.

Acronis True Image works fine on SOBS 2003, however we recommend that you suspend complex services such as SQL as described at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#19

Please note that it is recommended that you restore the image only to the identical computer (in terms of hardware) to avoid possible problems. However you may prepare your system before transferring to the new hardware as described at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#17

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.