TI Echo Server for Windows and Tapes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ehouser, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehouser

ehouser Registered Member

I'm sure this may be a redundant post, but here it goes. I purchased TI Echo Server some time ago migrating from Veritas Backup Exec as well as CA Brightstor. These apps worked great with SCSI tape drives but I really liked the restore processes in TI. Ever since installing it, tapes are a nightmare! I cannot get tapes to work correctly with backups OR restores. The backups always, even with the checkbox checked, asks me if I want to overwrite! If I do not respond the backup fails or sits there until the next day I come in and it has never begun. So, I logged in one evening and answered yes to over-write, it then told me I have no media inserted. Through a LONG process of finding out I have to click on "free" in the RSM snap-in on server 2k3, it then begins the backup, again with another prompt to format. After NUMEROUS open tickets with Acronis, there is still no fix. There is no way tp manipulate tapes in the app whatsoever. Does anyone else have this issue?

Doing a restore was equally as bad. I tested a 4k text restore and it literally took 7 HOURS!!!! After going through the process of the restore wizard and when I get to the spot of selecting the file I wanted to restore, I highlighted the tape and away it started spinning and an hourglass appeared and set there for a long time. Then, the file tree appeared and one by one, each little hour glasses started going away. If I slected the directory to tree out again, once again every directory had an hour glass and they went away eventually. Once I finally got to the file hours later, I selected the file and finished the restore wizard. The file took an hour or so just to restore. This was from windows and not from the bootable media as most file level restores are done throughout business hours.

This is unacceptable. I have been through many rounds with Acronis tech support with no resolution. Many hours spent on my part to try to resolve. Tech support has constantly requested that everything be tested from the bootable media. This is not quite an acceptable answer as many tech support depts have the ability to remote in and see for themselves the issue and test in their own labs.

I have tried brand new tapes, different tape drives etc. with the same result. I spoke to a sales person yesterday and they stated they have numerous requests for this same issue but they just cannot find a fix?

Anyone run into the same issue?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ehouser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that the process of sequential reading of the tape during a restore operation is a normal procedure. The main reason is that a single file can occupy several clusters of a hard drive and these clusters can reside in different places of a hard drive. But the snapshot technology creates image archive consequently. For example, the first cluster of a file can be located in the beginning of image, the second can be in the end, the third in the middle etc. Some files can occupy hundreds of clusters and when the next cluster of a file resides in the other part of the tape, it needs to rewind there. Therefore, it's recommended that the images saved on tapes were copied to another media before restoration, or restored as a whole without changes.

Regarding the problem with RSM interaction: could you please clarify, are you using the latest build (8076) of Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows? To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. inno

inno Registered Member

Hello ehouser,

you're right, the behavior of the acronis support is, let say, poor. I'm facing the same problem (TI echo server for windows -build 8076 on w2003 server std.) - backup tasks with tape do not run, cause of the "overwrite" question in the beginning of the task (usally 2am, so nobody will recognize until 9 and the job fails).

I could not find any solution for the problem. The acronis support allways link to their update sites, but I already on the newest path level...

So did You find until now a solution?

So far Inno

4. Acronis Support

Hello inno and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We would like to inform you that our Development Team is aware of the problem, and it will be fixed in the next build of Acronis True Image Echo. Unfortunately, the exact time-frame isn't determined yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

oh oh, i'm not lucky because i have bought acronis and i have the same trouble. I have to install the 9.1 version to backup on tape....

6. bacchus1106

bacchus1106 Registered Member

I are having the exact same issue. I finally stumble across this thread and am at least happy that I am not the only one. You think they would have tested scheduled tape backups as part of the QC. I was a huge Acronis TI supporter but am now rethinking the use of Acronis as a normal backup solution. Frustrating.

Has anyone thought about using a program to automate the prompts? Something that would respond from the console? It's a horrible solution but potentially a workaround.

7. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that a new build (8115) of Acronis True Image Echo was recently released. It includes many fixes and enhancements. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

Hello

Could you specified your tips: how to copy to an another media (external disk) the tib onto a cartridge?

Thank you

9. Acronis Support

Hello supdeco1,

There currently is no option to export archives from tapes to different locations.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.