TI does recognize only some of my partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HenkelD, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenkelD

HenkelD Registered Member

Hi there!
    After I succeeded in installing TI 9 Built 3694 (German) (File properties tell its 3715 actually) I now have the problem that TI will not recognize the partitions on my 2 internal IDE drives.
    It will only recognize my external USB drive and the two partitions in there.
    Also when I close TI it says something like "Waiting for closing the connection to Acronis True Image Home service.." and stops responding. I have to kill it using the task manager.
    I get an application hang event entry in the windows event log with event category 101 and event ID 1002.

I tried a repair installation but after that I get the famous ".. no valid license found. Please re-install" bug.

I ran through that "uninstall->boot->Install->boot->Won't recognize my drives->repair->boot->No valid license" cycle many times.

I also recognized that the repair installation runs different than the original installation. In the original installation I only see the progress bar running to 100% twice. Then after a short delay of maybe 20 seconds it appears for the third time, but immediately disappears without any progress bar and TI tells me the installation was successfull.
    In the repair installation I see the progress bar running 3 times to 100%.
    Strange.

That let me to the conclusion that during the original setup something goes wrong and maybe that is connected with not recognizing my internal drives.

The TI rescue CD recognizes all my drives by the way.

Anybody any idea?

2. bottom

bottom Registered Member

there have been other reports/posts about build 3715
    which is obviously showing quite crappy behaviour...

quick fix:
    try previous build (3641 ?)

however, the fact that the rescue cd seems to work
    may help others stuck in similar problems...

bottom

3. HenkelD

Thanks bottom,
    but the crappy behaviour of 3694 concerns only the file backup.
    Furthermore I also had problems with the 3691, so this is no real alternative.

Strange thing is that when I choose Files & Directorys for backup I do see all of my drives and partitions.o_O

That let me to look for Windows services that might be necessary but not running.
    I recognized that the "MS Shadow copy" and "Volume Shadow copy" where not running and started them manually before I installed TI. Also "Admininstration for logical volumes" (translated from German) was not running.

But even with those services running and a new TI installation followed by reboot and again starting the services manually did not work.

Does anybody have another idea which services might be missing?

4. HenkelD

I have fixed the issue with the disappearing license after the repair installation. I used Advanced Registry Tracer (ART) to compare the registry before and after the repair installation.
    I found an Acronis key that before the repair had a cryptic long number and which after the repair was empty. I copied the value from before to the registry and hasta-la-vista the problem with not finding the license key was gone.:-*

The bad news is, the repair did not fix the problem with TI not recognizing my internal drives.

So the question stays, has anybody any idea what could be the reason?
    Also does anybody have a list of Windows XP services that are required to run for TI?

5. bottom

bottom Registered Member

- ...build 3694 (aka 3715 !) is definitely NOT stable as
    acronis developers currently seem to be on their summer vacation... :)
    i would suggest not to waste Your time with this build anymore !
    (another post "promised" a fixed-release during the next X days)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142822

- if previous version/build (and the rescue cd)
    recognised your internal standard IDE drives
    any proper newer build should also do so !!!

- don't mess around with windows services !!! (i mean it)
    current build may be crappy,
    but it (most probably) won't harm Your existing windows installation,
    but if you mess around with windows services you can easily end up
    with a non-working / instable win (XP i guess)

- if you have massive problems, don't use repair installations
    try to completely UN-install and then,
    as you already identified the TI registry keys,
    manually remove those registry keys...
    (but please do so only, if you're familiar with it)
    ...THEN, try to RE-install

bottom

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HenkelD,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that there was an issue with the build 3694 of the Gernam version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Please redownload the build (3694) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home once again. Please uninstall the "old" build 3694 of Acronis True Image prior to the installation of the "new" build 3694 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

Please also create a new Acronis True Image Bootable CD using this new build.

If the issue persists with this build, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file. Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. HenkelD

Hello Aleksandr,
    I did as suggested and downloaded TI 3694 again. I uninstalled the previous version, bootet, reinstalled the newly downloadded 3694, rebooted.
    Same result. My 2 internal drives with their partitions are missing.

I downloaded the latest snapapi drivers, installed them with disabled logging
    and the result stays the same.
    I reinstalled them with logging enabled and looked at the snapapi.log file.
    I recognized that from my 3 harddisks only one (my external harddisk) did deliver a meaningfull device information. The drive info for my 2 internal harddisks is empty.

Here is a typical result from my internal drives, which are not recognized by TI:
    ------------------------------------------
    Open drive 1 handle: 0x26838C8 status: 0x0
    Get drive info 0x26838C8 status: 0x3E6
    drvnum: 0x0 biosnum: 0x0 flags: 0x0
    bus: 0x0 bustype: 0x0
    bps: 0x0 spt: 0x0 tpc: 0x0 total size: 0x0
    Int13-08: wCX: 0x0 bDH: 0x0
    Int13-41: bAH: 0x0 wCX: 0x0
    Int13-48: wSize: 0x0 wFlags: 0x0 dwCylinders: 0x0 dwHeads: 0x0 dwSecPerTrack: 0x0 qSectors: 0x0 wSectorSize: 0x0
    desc:
    CloseHandle 0x26838C8 status: 0x0
    ---------------------------------------------

Recognize the Get drive info status with 0x3E6, all information values being 0x0 and the description missing.
    What does drive info status 0x3E6 mean? I have googled the web but did not find anything usefull.

Here is the drive information of my external drive, which is successfully recognized:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Open drive 3 handle: 0x26838C8 status: 0x0
    Get drive info 0x26838C8 status: 0x0
    drvnum: 0x3 biosnum: 0x0 flags: 0x1
    bus: 0x0 bustype: 0x7
    bps: 0x200 spt: 0x3F tpc: 0xFF total size: 0x1D1C5970
    Int13-08: wCX: 0x3 bDH: 0x0
    Int13-41: bAH: 0x0 wCX: 0x45
    Int13-48: wSize: 0x0 wFlags: 0xF89C dwCylinders: 0x80023B dwHeads: 0xFA7C4010 dwSecPerTrack: 0xEE18023B qSectors: 0xFFFF7C9205707C91 wSectorSize: 0xFFFF
    desc: HDT722525DLAT80 V44O
    ------------------------------------------------
    Notice the different drive info status 0x0, meaningfull values for the different parameters and also a valid description.

Consequently the get volume info later in the file only returns meaningfull values for the two partitions on my external drive.
    The different get volume info flag values are 0x5 (for the volumes on my missing drives) and 0x1 (for the volumes on my recognized external USB drive).
    Again, what does a flag value of 0x5 mean?

I have already provided the system info and the snapapi log file to the German support. See ticket [Acronis #671230]. But they said they could not find anything so far.
    I'm just wondering, there is clearly a difference in the drive info status between the missing internal drives and the recognized external drive. If somebody could explain the meaning of status 0x3E6 maybe I could make some progress in finding the problem.

regards
    HenkelD

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HenkelD,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please find my answer in this thread you have started.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.