TI bootable media unable to detect DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Artemisa, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemisa

Artemisa Registered Member

Starting scenario:
    New Laptop Acer TravelMate 8103
    - Pentium M, 1.86 GHz (M750), Chipset Intel 915 PM Express
    - XP, SR2
    - 1 GB RAM
    - 80 GB HD, FAT32; (internal)
    - CD/DVD-Burner all formats incl. DVD-RAM (internal), make LG ELectronics HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GMA 4080N
    - True Image 8.0 #889
    - Partitions C: system and programs; D: Data1; E: Data2; F: Data3; no Secure Zone

successful operations:
    - installed True Image
    - created image from partition C: on a DVD (one step procedure, no intermediate on HD)
    - checked image for integrity: OK
    - created a bootable rescue media (CD-R), complete version
    - created a bootable rescue media (CD-R), safe loader version
    - resored the image on the DVD from within Windows XP (one step procedure, no intermediate on HD)

What went wrong:
    - booting from bootable CD, complete version: failed
    - booting from bootable CD, safe loader version: successful BUT: it failed to detect my DVD drive.
    Remark: on non of my destop computers the safe loder version is able to detect the DVD drive, but on all of them the complete version of the bootable media boots and does detect the DVD drives.

This means: I'm unable to restore the image if my system partition is damaged. The frustrating thing is, that presumably the DVD drive would have been detected from the complete version of the bootable media.

Any suggestions how to solve this problem (hooking to an USB HD on the laptop would not help, because the save loader version of the bootable media does not support USB) ?
    Menorcaman wrote on 2005/07/07 in this forum: "However, if the Full or Safe rescue CD fails to detect your hard disk controller chipsets then there is a True Image PE Plugin available from Acronis Support."
    Would this apply also for DVD drives?

Is this computer model too new to be fully supported, will there be hope for the future?

Your support and remarks are appreciated very much
    Thanks
    Artemisa

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Artemisa,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest (889) build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/my/products/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download. After that please create new Acronis Bootable CD with the latest build and try using it.

If it doesn't boot into GUI please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will certainly help you with the solution.

As for BartPE plug-in you can download it from our site. It should work with your DVD drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Cris

Cris Guest

Hallo Artemisa,

sorry for my english, I'm italian.

The version of BIOS of my Travelmate 8104 is Acer 3C19, 01/03/2005 - SMBIOS Version 2.31

Acronis support suggest me to use the iso image but it doesn't help me.

Thanks

Cris

4. Artemisa

Hello Ilya,

I do use it.

After the OK click we are at the end of the booting attempt - no srcolling, nothing, black screen.
    I encounter exactly the same situation as Cris. (see her and your coworkers remarks in "True Image bootable not loading USB2 drivers?" started by Britnash).

I followed all the proposals given to Cris, with the same results. The only thing I have not done was this ISO imaging.

I use nearly the same laptop as Cris (Acer TravelMate 8103). They are rather new on the marked and full featured. Could that cause these problems?

I will try that.

Thanks
    Artemisa

5. Artemisa

Hello Cris,

for the moment I decided not to flash my BIOS. I think that's another story.
    From the thread I have not understood for what this ISO imaging is good, but it did not help anyway.

As it seems to me (at least for the moment) we are lost with our TravelMates and True Image - hopefully there will be a solution, I will try further.

Best regards
    Artemisa

6. Acronis Support

Hello Artemisa and Cris,

We are really sorry for the temporary inconviniences. We are investigating the problem with Acer 8100 series of notebooks. The problem is currently being investigating by our Development Team. We will inform you as soon as a fix is found.

Thank you for your patience.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Artemisa

Ilya, thanks for your interim report.

Anyway in the meantime I will try to make this BartPE with the True Image plug-in.

Regards
    Artemisa

8. Artemisa

I made the BartPE (bootable windows like environment) with True Image plug-in.
    It worked fine. I could use my internal DVD drive and an external USB drive as well.

Cris, if you would be interested in details, send me a personal message (click on my name in the header), so we can get in touch directly. I'm convinced that it would work for you as well.

Nevertheless I would be interested in a final solution from Acronis, because the same fault (beeing unable to boot from the complete bootable version, happens with the Disk Directory Suite)

Thanks so far to Ilya for the tip with BartPE
    Artemisa

9. Acronis Support

Hello Artemisa,

Since you have the incident open you will be informed about the conclusion. You may wish to inform our Support Team that you have found a workaround (BartPE plug-in) but it is not necessary.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Artemisa

Unfortunately TI 8.0 build #903 does not solve my problems:
    full version of bootable CD does not boot on Acer TravelMate 8103

11. Daacon

Daacon Registered Member

I raised this issue with my Acer 8104 back in May 2005. I just applied the latest build (937) - Full CD bootable version still does not work.

I have not updated my bios (I may do that) and will try the BartPE for now.

12. tretret

tretret Guest

tetretretetre

13. tretret

tretret Guest

tetretretetre

14. song0699

song0699 Guest

Dear Acronis Service support,

I am currently reading the forum to evaluate the problems for Acronis TI before i buy. I think there is really compatibility issue for all Acer Travelmate laptop with bootable CD using Linux.

I have a Acer Travelmate 3000. I actually brought 7tools Imager2005 and asked for a 30days refund. Reason is that i can't boot from their bootable rescue CD which happens to be based on Linux. I got the same blank screen after seeing the loading header.

As i read on in this forum, the acer's problem with Acronis TI is similar for 7tools's. I now want to buy Acronis TI but this problem of not able to boot with Acronis TI recovery CD is holding me back. I have actually downloaded the trial and confirm the same problem.

Can i contribute a possible clue to the solution of acer travelmate compatability with Acronis TI linux bootcd? As i know, acer travelmate series come with acer e-recovery imaging and backup software. This is written into the bios ( their F11 function). E-recovery has created a hidden partition in the harddrive to store the problem and system pre-loaded image. User's image is stored in D: drive. Acer calls their F11 function as Disk2Disk recovery solution. As acer e-recovery is limited to just backing up C: system drives, we therefore need Acronis TI for our own backup purpose. In addition, acer e-recovery only allow recovery using their cdrom drives. Acronis , on the other hand, allows us to use 3rd party USB dvd/cdrom drives. As such, we need ACronis TI and acer e-recovery is quite useless. however, because they build it into their bios, it may be the cause to linux bootdisk of acronis and 7tools. So far, only Ghost 9.0 and above will work on acer travelmate (their ghost Bootcd is window pre-load environment based)

i hope acronis support will consider my suggestion to the solution of acer travelmate compatibility issue.

song

15. mildewman

mildewman Guest

I own not an Acer, but had the exact problem described (black screen after seeing the Acronis Loading screen. This info. worked for me. Did either of the two original posters try it?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

II. Problems with Acronis bootable rescue media (the full version) or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. The diagnostics requires the full version of Acronis bootable rescue CD.

Please try the following workaround:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic

and click on the OK button. That should allow you to use Acronis True Image in some special cases. Please contact support@acronis.com if you want to automate the process of adding these special parameters.

16. song06

song06 Guest

Has the support from Acronis take note of the below? Please comment. I am still waiting for a complete answer on this before i buy the software

17. Acronis Support

Hello song,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis Bootable CD functions are not connected with your Acer backup solution. This problem is probably related to Linux loader. We have some possible solutions for your case. Please send a letter to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. Please mention my name in this letter. We will provide you with instructions on this matter.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.