TI backup E00040001 Failed to backup...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by phil_w, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phil_w

phil_w Registered Member

I keep gettig these messages during multiple backup attempts on a NEW HP Vista OS machine. It says there is an error reading the file, yet I can open any of the files it name via the relevant software. It seems to stall at different points if I start again...

No problems in checking the disk..

The file name lengths seem not to be consistently >256 character (what an arcane limitation, smacks of old MSDOS, and really needs sorting out!)

I'm up to date with the latest version TI 10 Home, v4942

What is the best next move? Try new drivers (why, sure the latest version has themo_O)

Phil

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. phil_w

phil_w Registered Member

OK, more info
    It halted at a couple of files in excess of 2.3G (video files). I deleted them and it started on it's way again. It has a small appetite after all.

Now it's getting even more weird, cos it bumped into a non existant file in a folder called 'downloads'. It's startled by enpty space, this is a worry! It's very young software. OK, ignore this

Immediately it bumps into Favorites.... OK this is just a matter of taste, so I'll ask it to ignore my taste in websites

Then its Links... OK, now it's my ?sexual preferences? I give up. The software is struggling with a few things.

I'll have to resort to tech support.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Are you making a complete drive backup or a files and folders backup? If you are backing up already compressed files such as video, photo etc you would be better off using another method for those files. TI uses compression so large already compressed files will significantly slow things down. I don't know why you are experiencing the other issues you describe. You need to supply the exact error message for some one to help you.

4. phil_w

phil_w Registered Member

Not sure what is more specific than an Error code! The log file has landed in Acronisland so they will know about the underlying disk and OS structure. Perhasp they can sleuth out the problem.

However, overnight it seems have done a bit better this time. I'm just in process of validating and exploring the ~16GB archive which has finally been created. What a mission (2 weeks since I bought the programme).

I eventually rebooted a couple of times (once is never enough, even in Vista it seems). I deleted a few major sized files, so TI wouldn't get indigestion. This seemed to get it on the move. I will need to see the expored structure to see if it merely overlooked the other directories. Perhaps before they were in some way 'locked up' by the OSo_O I'm not running any really obscure disk management programmes, but I am alway suspicious of antivirus and 'Internet security' software contributing.

Overall, one would not have expected to have to go to such ends for it to work. I need to get a job as a Beta tester.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello phil_w,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists?

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please sent the created log file along with Acronis Report and Windows System Information to Acronis Support Team. Check Acronis Help Post to find the instructions on how to obtain this information.

Would also like to mention that if you wish to create an image archive, which you plan to use to restore your system in case disaster happen, we recommend that you create an image of the entire disk or system partition. Because we can not guarantee that you will be able to restore your operating system to a working state by restoring the file-based backup of a system partition. Actually, no one can guarantee this. Please check chapter 5.2.1 "My Computer backup" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide for more information.

Using "My Data" option of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home is useful, if you are not concerned about restoration of your operating system along with all settings and applications, but plan to keep safe only certain data (the current project, for example).

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. CxPHD

CxPHD Registered Member

The E00040001 failure to backup did not recur after the recommended install of the SnapAPI driver. This was a first for True Image 10.0.4942 Home to get a successful file (slice) backup of the 2x300GB SATA II RAID 0 on ASUS AN8 SLI AMD X2 4600 Vista NVidia RAID/SATA 5.10.2600.995.

Thanks Aleksandr for the recommendation that worked.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CxPHD,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved and you can use Acronis True Image successfully.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.