TI 9 Build3641 (German) does not install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HenkelD, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenkelD

HenkelD Registered Member

Hello,
    I tried to upgrade from TI 9 B2337, trusting the German FAQ wich states it is not necessary to uninstall befor installing an update. Naturally things went wrong. :thumbd:
    Build 3657 stopped before install finished and told me to try again.
    I reinstalled B2337 then and waited for the next build which currently is B3641 (German).
    This time I uninstalled TI first (having read some threads in this nice forum :-* ). Same procedure here. Build 3641 stopped and told me to try again.
    Then I tried the manual uninstall. I did not uninstall my Secure Zone because I wanted to keep the image in there but executed everything else in the manual uninstall procedure.

Again when I tried to install B3641 it stopped. I recognized it does that when the progress bargraph finishes the second time. I recognized that the install seems to try to connect to the internet (or network maybe) shortly befor it stops.
    I have tried with disabled ZoneAlarm, AdWatch and McAfee but the result is the same.

Anybody any idea?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HenkelD,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Download the utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us, install and run it;
    - Select the Acronis product you are trying to install and hit Remove;
    - Try to install the product again.

If that doesn't help, please do the following:

- Launch the product installation file;

- Right-click on the "Install Acronis True Image" button and select "Extract";

- Select the path for extracting the component and click "Save";

- Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i msi-name /l*v log-name

Where msi-name is the name of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and log-name is the path and the name to the log file you want to save the output to;

- Reproduce the problem and collect the log file created during the installation.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

HenkelD,

is your system part of a domain which enforces group policies ?. I had a problem similar to yours, but I was aware that the machine was very strictly locked down policy wise?

I'm don't have concrete proof that this was the cause but it was a very new installation of the OS which had not been tampered with apart from the group policies.

Reinstalling the OS cured the problem :-(

F

4. HenkelD

@Acronis Support
    Dear Acronis Support, I had run already the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility as part of my manual uninstall. It did (and still does) not show anything regarding Acronis though.
    Regarding the Request for Technical support , I have already submitted a request on 27th or 28th of June and got the ticket number 622901. But no answer regarding the problem until now.
    I have collected the Install log file and the System Info but its not possible to create an Acronis report due to the fact that the Acronis Report Utilitiy hangs. After start and some screens it says "Analyzing Partition.." and thats it. It runs for 5 Minutes with 99% CPU load before I need to terminate it. Sorry.
    What would you suggest, should I create a new Request for Technical Support (resulting in a new ticket?) or is there a way to add my files to the already existing ticket?

5. HenkelD

@Foghorne
    Hi foghorne,
    my PC is not part of a domain (as far as I know :D ). Its the only PC in my "home network" and just connected to a DSL router. So I guess its a workgroup installation.
    Thanks for your comment though.

6. Acronis Support

Hello HenkelD,

You can create Acronis report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please send the requested information as the reply to the autoreply e-mail you have got from Acronis Customer Service Department.

I have already paid attention of our German Support Team to your request. You will be contacted as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

7. HenkelD

Thought I just let you know about the "progress" in this case.
    On July 5th I received an email from German Acronis support. They apologized for beeing late and explained that they had much to do with a new version o_O and increased support cases. ;) They asked me to send the system information for my PC.

On July 10th I send them the requested information and additionally the installation log file

On July 12th I received an analysis telling me I needed to enable 2 windows services that where needed by the installer and that where set to manual start on my PC
    I tried the proposed procedure and installation completed :-*
    But when I had rebooted and started ATI I got the famous "Could not find the proper serial number" message. I did an uninstall, rebooted and when I tried to reinstall I ran into my old problem with the installation not finishing.
    I checked for the services, but they where ok.

On July 15th I send an email to Acronis support with details about the new development and attached a newly created system info and installation log file. I used the old subject with my ticket number so Acronis support would know about the case.
    No response :doubt:

On July 20th I wrote a reminder
    No response :(

On July 25th I wrote another reminder. I also commented that even If they where not able to give me a solution I would expect some "somebody's still here" sign.
    No response :mad:

On July 30th, 3 weeks after my support request I again wrote a reminder. This time I could not refrain from offering to send an email on an hourly basis if I did not here from them that at least somebody was reading my email.

Until today no response !:mad: :thumbd: :mad:

This happens to be the worst support for a product I have encountered since I switched on my first computer (which was about 18 years back)

I will try now creating a new support case by filling in the online support form.

Will let you know what happens

8. SJMarty

SJMarty Registered Member

Hi,

I'm curious what those two services were. I am having an installation hang-up problem.

Thanks,

-Steve

9. HenkelD

Hi Steve,
    can only tell the service names for a German XP.
    The 2 services were:
    -COM+Systemanwendung (should translate to something like "COM+System Application") and
    -Distributed Transaction Coordinator (should be the same in English)

Hope that helps
    Dieter

10. SJMarty

SJMarty Registered Member

Thanks.

-Steve

11. Acronis Support

Hello HenkelD,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay with the response.

I've contacted our German colleagues regarding the delay with the response to your ticket and they assured me they will take care of this and other issues you have reported as soon as possible. Most likely, you'll receive a reply today.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. HenkelD

Thank you Alexey,
    they really did send a reply and I already provided the information they requested.

Nevertheless current response times from German support are absolutely not acceptable. I was already considering moving over to Paragon (though I find TI beeing the better product) simply because I need to have a working backup solution.
    They either need to speed up or you will loose German customers.
    Would you be willing to wait 4 weeks for an answer when your backup solution is no longer working?

13. Acronis Support

Hello HenkelD,

As far as I understand from your ticket you now have an issue with Acronis True Image Bootable CD. While Acronis Support Team investigate this issue I can offer you to use Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE Please as a possible workaround. It allows you to boot into a Windows-like environment from a CD having all the capabilities of Bootable Rescue CD. You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. HenkelD

Hi Aleksandr,
    primarily I have the problem that TI does not recognize my local harddrives.
    That Is why I was using the bootable CD (which does recognize them fine).

I just found a thread that mentioned the disappearing of local drives, but under the BartPE. Have a look here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=734243&postcount=37

Could that have to do with my problem?

regards

15. Acronis Support

Hello HenkelD,

As far as I understood the issue appears when you use Acronis True Image under Windows. If this is the case then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the issue persists.

If the issue still persists, please enable logging by SnapAPI program, reproduce the program failure and send us the "snapapi.log" file which is located at C:\. You can also use Windows Search tool (available in Start menu) to find this file. Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please also make a screen shot of Windows Disk Management by following Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

EDIT: just found another your post regarding this issue. Therefore, please note that if the Acronis Drivers have been successfully installed, the Windows registry must contain the respective values in the UpperFilters registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters (PartMgr snapman)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters (VolSnap timounter snapman)

So, the snapman value must be present in both the registry keys and the timounter value must be present in the second one only.

If the drivers are missing in the UpperFilters registry keys (use Registry Browser to check out whether it is so), which may be caused by a registry protecting application, then the problem can be fixed by editing the Windows registry manually, namely, by adding the necessary values in Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> regedit).

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.