TI 9 2337 Intel GB Nic

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Shootist, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootist

Shootist Registered Member

Has anyone had problems with creating or restoring a image on a PC using a Intell GB NIC when using the rescue CDo_O

I have had very SLOW speeds doing a restore when booting the PC from the TI boot CD.
    This is on a Dell Optiplex GX260 with Intel onboard GB NIC.
    It seems the drivers included on the boot CD do not configure the NIC properly and it defaults to 10Mbs instead of 100Mbs. Which makes restoring 14-17GB of data take well over a hour.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Unless, the backup file is on a network drive, the NIC should not matter.

3. Shootist

Of course the image in on a network drive. Where else would it be when installing a NEW hard drive in the PC and restoring a image so you have a working PC.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

4 example, on an external usb/firewire drive.

5. Shootist

Really I don't mean to be rude but just why would the NIC even come into play and why would I post to this forum about slow speeds if the image I wanted to restore was on either a USB or firewire drive. Clearly if you are using the NIC during the restore the image MUST be on a networked drive.

Thanks for the input.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You don't say if the 14-17GB is the compressed image size which is the amount of data that has to be transferred over the LAN or it is the original/restored size.

If you do a simple calculation the 100Mbps should support a theoretical maximum of 750MBytes/min. Backing up from my 100Mbps connection within Windows I get about 225Mbytes/min actual. I also have numbers that show when backing up using the standalone CD the number is the same which indicates the network overhead is throttling the process. I realize this is creating and not restoring.

Assuming your numbers are the image size, and a restore is the same as a create, then my system would take 15000MB/225MB/min= 66.7 minutes to do the restore on my 100Mbits/sec LAN.

In any case, if your NIC was running at 10Mbps then the theoretical number would by 75Mbytes/min and the ideal fastest time would be 15000/75=200 minutes (3.3hrs) for the restore.
    Based on what you report, I'd say your NIC is running at 100Mbps.

(sure hope I got the math right)

7. Shootist

I think you have the math right. But on my home LAN, all 100Mbs network, a restore of all the data on any of my main drives, 3 partition, takes a total of about 15-20 minute. That is with about 9GB uncompressed and 6 compressed. Actually I just looked at my work PC HDD and it only has about 7.5GB of data. So although your math may be right, and my original numbers way off, doing a restore of only 7+GB of data, around 4GB compressed, shouldn't take over a hour. The older PC I was using didn't take that long when restoring almost the same data, - about 300-500 MB. That PC, A Dell GX240, had a onboard 3COM NIC where as this newer one has the Intel 1000Mbs onboard NIC.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Using your 4GB number, which is the amount of data sent over the network, and my 225Mbytes/min for a 100Mbps network it should take about 18 minutes, so your hour time is indeed too long.

Have you got LEDs on your NIC back panel that indicate the connection speed. Typically, green is 1Gbps, amber is 100Mbps but just how standard that is, I don't know. If your are using a router or switch with LEDs it should indicate the link speed as well.

Any chance of a bad cable or port causing excessive re-tries?

I'm just listing other things it might be but certainly your suspicions about the linux NIC driver need to be verified as well.

I have an Intel Pro 1000/pl integrated NIC on my other PC and TI sees it OK and runs it at 1Gbps. The actual transfer rate is about 500Mbytes/min using the standalone version and about 840Mbytes/min using Windows to do the creation, obviously better drivers/buffering in this case.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shootist,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that your Bootable Rescue CD is created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0. You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 once more and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt and net.txt files are not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file names using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT, NET.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive (the same applies to the net.txt file).

Please also provide us with the following information:

- What is the exact size of the image archive that you restored?

- How much time does it take exactly to restore this image?

- Describe your network structure in more detail;

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.