TI 9.1 WS with UR & DriveCrypt Plus Pack 3.8G

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by McStarfighter, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McStarfighter

McStarfighter Registered Member

Hi,

I'm working with DriveCrypt Plus Pack 3.8G and decided to use TI 9.1 WS incl. UR for my backup system. But since a few days there are a some questions for me.

1.) Can I activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager without killing my DCPP protected partition? And is the ASRM bootable in such a partition?
    2.) Is it possible to use Universal Restore at a DCPP protected partition image?
    3.) If it isn't possible by default: Is there a workaround available?

Thx a lot for answers.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello McStarfighter,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

When files or partitions are encrypted by specialized software, it is possible that Acronis True Image may not be able to back up or restore such files or partitions.

The following situations may occur (only when working in Windows):
    - Acronis True Image may not be able to access an encrypted partition from Windows and thus will not back it up.
    - Acronis True Image may be able to back up an encrypted partition from Windows, but restoring such a partition is extremely risky and is not advisable. If an encrypted system partition is backed up and then restored, then the chances are the machine will become unbootable after the restore.
    This also stands true for Acronis Remote Agent.

In case the file system is unknown (because of encryption) Acronis True Image will create a raw (sector-by-sector) backup of an encrypted partition when booted from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. This is a reliable way to create and restore an image of an encrypted partition. You could also have a look at this thread.
    This also stands true for Acronis Bootable Remote Agent.

As Acronis Universal Restore has to be able to access system folders, it won’t work with encrypted partitions.

Acronis Startup Recovery Manager should only be used with encrypted partitions that use default MBR. If the encrypted partition uses its own kind of MBR, it is strongly not recommended to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (as well as create Acronis Secure Zone on the encrypted drive).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.