I took up the offer of a free upgrade to Acronis 8.0 to 9.0. I only purchased ver. 8 a month ago. All seemed fine with the install until the following day. When I started my PC and went into the program I received an error which stated that it had failed to read from sector 54,701,462 of the hard disk 3 which is my Freecom USB drive that contains all of my backups. I also noticed that the drive was not working correctly: when I tried to open MY COMPUTER the program stalled until I disconnect the USB drive. System manager shows to errors with the drive and because the files are "hidden" one cannot run a disk error check (such as Norton) to find any errors. I then noticed that the disk was stopping and starting. I connected the drive to a different PC and found the same problem. I therefore bit the bullet and reformatted the drive and this fixed the problem. I then initially formatted the drive using NTFS and performed a full drive error check but no problems were found. I have now reconnected the drive to the original PC and rerun TI 9.0 and backed up all of my drives again and it now seems to be working OK. I don't know if this was just a coincidence or whether TI 9.0 was the source of the problem. I just hope that it does not happen again as had I deactivated system restore I would have lost all of my restore points and would have lost all of my backups on my USB drive.