TI 9.0 from newegg.com: download or boxed version??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by data7, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. data7

data7 Registered Member

I am planning to buy TI 9.0 home version from newegg.com and I was wondering if it is advisable to purchase the "download" version or the "boxed" version. Either way I have to go the acronis.com and register and then download the current build. Appreciate any help!

Regards

2. Freegoo

Freegoo Registered Member

Well like you said, you have to register on Acronis site and download the new build anyway, might as well go with the download version and get some instant gratification!

3. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Greetings data7,

How fast is your connection speed? If you have broadband, get the download. A new build should be released soon, and, as with most programs, you'll end up downloading those periodically in either case. Of course, you won't have all the promises on the tin to remind you of the many features you should be able to use but can't. And that may be just as well. Stick with the core strengths of TI, Imaging system drives, and test your system from archive creation thru restoration, in Windows and TI Boot mode. And the new TI 9 manual is worth reading. New since I started June 1.

There's great help available in these forums. Welcome aboard.

4. data7

data7 Registered Member

Thanks for the greeting!

My connection speed of the "regular" DSL at about 200 Kbps up to about 1 Mbps. It sounds like the download is the way to go then.

Also, I was planning to buy an 80GB WD Passport USB drive to use to clone my hard drive, as it sounds like CDs and DVDs are too problematic. Apparently, the first step is to create a TI boot CD, and then proceed to the creation of the "clone" of the hard drive.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if it works successfully I should be able to disconnect my internal drive and boot from the USB drive.

Thanks again.

Regards

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello data7,

Firstly, as far as I'm aware, you can't boot into Windows from an external USB drive. Secondly, when using True Image, you need to understand the difference between Disk "Cloning" and Disk "Imaging". Disk Cloning would normally be used to replace your current hard drive with a larger one, whilst Disk/Partition Imaging would be used for regular backups and subsequent disaster recovery.

I strongly recommend that you read through this <fully illustrated Tutorial> before you do try using TI. Additional information is available by downloading the <True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide>.

Regards

6. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

1. Good choice. You want to go with an External over DVD's. I use the 80gb Passport strictly for TI Full Images. My other Externals for other things.

2. You want to make a FULL Image Backup, (not "Clone") ...and SAVE it directly to the External. You should boot from the Internal HD, not the Passport.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Go for the download. The box version doesn't have anything extra you need -- jsut a box. And you probalby will have to download the latest version anyway. EVen at a slow dial-up connection, the download will be faster than waiting for delivery of a box. ;-)

8. data7

data7 Registered Member

Thanks for the assistance! It is greatly appreciated. The process overview seems pretty clear now. I hope it all goes well. I realize the HUGE time savings if one has a "good" image that they can recover from.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.