TI 9.0 build 3666 win98se works????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbknox, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I purchased true image because I read that I could "restore my operating system and programs with just a few clicks" so far I have spent enough time to reformat and install my operating system 3-4 times over. I have dial-up and it takes 6-7 hours to download a new build. Build 3666 seemed like it was working fine. It took a little over an hour to "image" to DVDs and I got the message that it had completed okay. I can not see any "tib" files when I explore the dvd, plus I can not mount the disk ( I am not sure if I should be able to mount the DVD in the disk drive or not). When I use "Isobuster" to look at the DVD, it shows the proper amount of memory used and two "Acronis" files. When I try to extract these files they are empty. I did the above using the rescue disk, when I tried to do an image with the program to my second hard drive True Image crashed the computer. ( which is what build 3567 does) Has anybody else had luck with True Image build 3666 and Windows 98se? Oh yes and I am a newbie, all I really wanted was to make an image of my next reformat and a "bare bones" windows install I am not interested in imaging per se. So a one time copy would be good enough.

2. b_k

b_k Registered Member

if i dont think wrong, Acronis uses the UDF format for DVD or CD media. So you would need a UDF driver for Windows if you want to see whats on the DVD.

InCD would be one possibility, if you got Ahead Nero. Don't know other names at the moment.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Insert the last DVD in the drive and then start TrueImage in Windows. Choose Restore or Plug and then browse to the DVD drive. You should see the backup and the note you wrote just before starting the backup. Obviously, you do not want to Restore the image at this point, so if you are in that mode, click Cancel after you have confirmed that you could see the backup file. If you are in the Plug mode, you can proceed and see if the image can be successfully mounted.

Let us know what you find.

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks jmk94903, I am away from my computer for a few days. I was really interested in the "mount" feature of true image, but out of curiosity I will try what you suggest. Just to see if I do see anything.

B_K as far as I can tell reading the forums, it seems like a good idea to turn incd off as it interfers with TI.

Also I find that when I try to copy to my second hard drive True Image just freezes and I have to reboot, this also happened with the last 2 builds.

6-7 hours downloading each build I sure wish Acronis would support download managers!!!

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Am I alone with win98se problems build 3666

I just updated "again" to build 3666 and I am still getting problems. The new build seems to copy to dvd but I can't mount the drive or see any tib files, so I tried to do an image to my second hard drive using both the rescue disk and the program and all Acronis does is freeze and lock up my computer.
    Is anybody having any luck at all with true image build 3666 o_O

6. layman

layman Registered Member

The mount feature hasn't worked properly under 98SE for a couple of builds now. I'm still running build 3567, because the subsequent releases are even more busted. I've discovered that under 3567 I can mount an image from inside TI itself, but not from the operating system. The past few releases have been so bug-ridden, I didn't bother to report the problem.

Since Microsoft support for 98SE ends this month, I suppose it's unlikely that Acronis will ever correct this defect.

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I tried to do like you said jmk94903 and when I pick out my DVD drive there is just Acronis media shown but no way to get the "next" radio button to turn from gray to black. Thanks for trying. I am really surprised that I can't copy an image to my second hard drive though.

layman: gosh I hope that isn't the case I don't like XP, I hope Vista is better. I am surprised ( and pleased) that Acronis has tried so hard to get their software to work with Win 98

I have never purchased a " finished" software that gave me so much grief!
    I may have to throw in the towel and count my loses.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dbknox,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what type of DVD you are using (DVD+R, DVD-RW, etc.)?

The image should be shown on a DVD disc in Windows as a .tib file even if you have included "One-click Restore" option.

Please also create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thank you Kirill Omelchenko, we are starting a long week-end in Canada and I reside at a summer resort and will be having a lot of visitors I will try what you say and get back to you when the smoke clears meanwhile I Tried DVD -R and +R ( Sony and TDK )
    I was going to try a DVD+RW next until I came across the trouble trying to image to my second hard Drive, meanwhile here is what I am running on my computer.

Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
    1.73 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V8X-X REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 08/06/2003
    99.27 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    85.20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AOPEN DUW1608/ARR [CD-ROM drive]
    HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B [CD-ROM drive]
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

FUJITSU MPE3173AE [Hard drive] (17.34 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 05003734, rev EE-C0-23, SMART Status: Healthy
    Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y25MR8CE, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy
    1022 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DDR 1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DDR 2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DDR 3' is Empty
    c: (on drive 0) 81.94 GB 72.44 GB free
    d: (on drive 1) 17.33 GB 12.75 GB free

10. Acronis Support

Hello dbknox,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please disregard Kirill's previous post.

Please be aware that DVD burning by Acronis True Image 9.0 is not supported in Windows 9x, so as a result, burned DVDs can't be read in Windows 9x. Please take a look at this FAQ article.

However, you can boot your computer from the bootable rescue media and create the image on DVD in rescue mode. You can also use two-step method of DVD-writing: create an image set with the archive splitting size at 2 GB on a local hard disk drive and then to copy the created image archives to DVDs.

Please note that once a full image is created as one consistent file it instantly becomes indivisible and in case it exceeds the limit of 4.7 GB (the maximum capacity of a DVD disc) you will not be able to divide it into parts and burn to DVDs.

Acronis True Image 9.0 Home can explore/mount an image archive only if all its volumes reside in the same folder. If your archive spans several CD/DVD discs and you wish to explore the image, you need to copy all volumes into a single folder on a local or networked hard disk drive. Please take a look at this FAQ article.

As far as I understand, you try to create the image to your second hard drive.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please download and install the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still remains, please clarify when exactly the program freezes.

Please create Acronis Report and Linux System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

11. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thank-you Tatyana Tsyngaeva,
    First I would like to point out that when build 3666 came out it said it fixed the win98 problem and I seem to have been successful when copying an image to dvd. (I am going to try putting both dvds on my second hard drive in one folder and see if it mounts as you pointed out) I can not copy an image to my second hard drive from rescue disk or desktop without TI "hanging" my computer and the only thing I can do is "cold" boot my computer to get working again. I have started a Acronis help post and have done as you suggested. It almost seems as if I am getting email from two different people, one is signing their email and the other isn't. ( It has the same tracking number in the subject window). I am getting double requests for "system" info etc. which I have supplied.
    Also I am asked to download the latest build and try it. ( this seems to be standard proceedure)
    I am on dial-up as stated and it takes 6-7 hours to download a build and from what I can make out in this forum build 3677 does not address my problem.
    Plus I do scandisk and defrag once a week and a "through scandisk once a month.

12. Acronis Support

Hello dbknox,

Could you please clarify if you are trying to copy or to create backup to the second hard drive?

If you would like to copy already existing archives into a single folder on a second hard drive like Tatyana suggested then you can use Windows Explorer to do this.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # ? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

13. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I am trying to create a backup ( image) to my second hard drive. Ie: a restorable image to my hard drive. I start True image and select "backup" then "the entire disk contents or individual partion" Then I select my main disk to back up, "full backup". I end up with "create new full backup achive" I set the options to manually and set to 1.5 gb and end up here

Create Full Backup Archive
    To file:"D: \full.tib"
    Compression:Normal
    File Split:1.5 GB
    Description:
    "first"

Operation 1 of 2
    Saving partition structure
    Hard disk:1

Operation 2 of 2
    Creating partition image
    Hard disk:1
    Drive letter:C:
    File system:FAT32
    Volume label:MAIN
    Size:76.33 GB

There is never any progress and I have left the program for 2 hours with no change, I can not do anything with the computer and have to "cold" reboot from this menue.
    My Acronis request # is 627431
    I had a friend download build 3677 for me, on high speed and I will be trying it in the near future.

14. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I now am using build 3677 and I can back up to my second drive, mount the image etc. When I copied the resulting "tib" files to DVD and tried to click on them I was told to put in the second DVD with the last volume and click "retry" ( only two DVDs were needed) when I insert the second I am then advised to insert the first DVD and click on "retry" I seem to be in an endless loop.
    At least I am seeing some progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.