ti 9.0 3667 spanning to external hd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by max0071, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

Does the 3667 build allow you now to use a fat32 external USB HD that spans the images. Before the 3677 I could not use the images that were spanned. Is it just me or is this trueo_O? THANKS

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello max0071,

All versions and builds of TI "should" be able to restore or mount an image that had been split automatically when backed up to a FAT32 HD.

When you say you couldn't use the image on your external USB HD, what was the problem?

Regards

3. max0071

I had the trial version and when I imaged to a fat 32 external USB HD, I got the message that my image was corrrupt. I asked the question here and they told me thats cause my fat32 won't allow the spanned images to be restored, and that I should change my external HD to NFTS.

However upon downloading the TI 9 build 9667 it allowed me to use the spanned images on my fat32 external..........so I assume the latest build made those changes..........numerous posters sugggested that fat32 spanned images will be corrupt........I"m getting mixed messages!!!!o_Oo_O

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I certainly was under the impression that archives split because of FAT32 were NOT a problem. However, everything I have is NTFS so I am not speaking from personal experience.

In the Help File on Options Archive Splitting it says in effect:
    If there is enough space on the HD but the file system does not allow a filesize big enough to contain the archive True Image will automatically split the archive.

That means FAT32 should not be a problem for storing archives greater than 4GB.

5. max0071

Your point is well taken.........however there were numerous posts suggesting that fat32 will produce fauty images when spanned.......so u can understand my confusion. I was going to reformat my external fat32 to Ntfs but was afraid of losing other "backups" on it, although the concensus is that reformatting from fat32 to ntfs will NOT lose your data......I'm not prepared to take the risk as so many of the posts are contradictory here.

Thanks for your response......if its in "help" then it should be true, contrary to the dialogue in these posts........don't know who to believeo_Oo_O?

6. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

This should help.
    1. Create a folder on your Desktop.
    2. Turn on your External, and move everything on it...over to that folder.
    3. Reformat the External to NTFS.
    4. Move everything back when you've formatted it.

7. max0071

Stars............great idea.........and safe............will do..........thanks for the suggestion
    :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.