TI 8 - Please Help! Cannot Run CHKDSK

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jreiz, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

I just did a clean install of windows XP SP 2 on my Dell Inspiron 8600. After I installed all my programs - including True Image 8.0 (Final Build) - I tried to create a Secure Zone on my drive. In the boot process, there was a message saying that there was an error creating the Secure Zone on the drive becauseof a bad sector. The Secure Zone was not created. Later, I tried to run a CHKDSK, and in the boot process, there was a message saying "Cannot open volume for direct access." I could not run CHKDSK. This would not be entirely unusual except that on my other computer I have the same problem running CHKDSK - and I have TI 8 on that drive too (same Build). I remember reading perhaps in these forums that if you try to create a Secure Zone on a disk with bad sectors - that something occurs - I do not recall what. Am I on the right track? Any help would be appreciated. o_O

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The first thing I would do in your situation would be to run the testing and diagnotic program provided your HDD manufacturer. If that also reports problems you should take the hint and buy a replacement drive ASAP. Make a note of the age of your existing drive and it's other details as you may well be able to claim for a replacement.

Xpilot

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

With XP, running Scandisk instead of chkdsk, in Safe mode would be better.

4. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

Hello Chutsman -

Could you give me instructions how to run Scandsk in safe mode (I do know how to get to safe mode). What is the difference between CHKDSK and SCANDSK? One of my drives affected by this error is brand new - so it may be unlikely that the drive is failing. Thank you for your help.:)

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

To get into Safe Mode, as the system is booting up, and BEFORE it gets to the splash screen, keep tapping on the F8 key. You will get a menu where one of the items will be Safe Mode.

Once you are in Safe Mode, to get to Scandisk, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

I don't know the difference between Chkdsk and Scandisk except that all the reports I read say Scandisk is better.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jreiz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please read the following articles by Microsoft regarding the issue with Chkdsk tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q176504/
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823439

After you will check your hard drive please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. After that please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. jreiz

jreiz Registered Member

Hello Alexandr,

Thank you for responding to my question regarding TI 8 and problems running CHKDSK. You indicate that I should disable logging before downloading the new Acronis drivers. The best I could do with TI 8 was to delete the log entries - I could not find a setting for disabling logging itself. Please advise. Thank you. :)

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The "disable logging" is an option that is available when you go to install the downloaded drivers.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.