TI 8.0 Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dushtacat, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dushtacat

Dushtacat Registered Member

I have a new drive for my laptop. How can I clone the old drive to the new drive using TI 8.0?
    I tried numerous times to image to a networked PC drive and then restore to the new drive using a USB hookup from that PC. All I get is a flashing cursor on a black screen.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Which build of version 8? The last build was 937 and works very well. Last week I Imaged my laptop drive to a usb drive, replaced the laptop drive with another and Restored the image to it with build 937. Worked for me.

Of course, you have to use the bootable TI cd which I did for both Image backup and Restore.

Try that instead of Cloning.

3. Dushtacat

I'm working with build 937. I used the Windows version, not the cd. When I used the cd there was no USB drive seen. How do you get around that??

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

When you restore a system partition, typically the C partition, TI cannot run from within Windows to do it and it requires a reboot. The reboot starts up a Linux environment to do the restore. This is the same environment that is on the CD so if the CD version doesn't work this one won't either.

Read this post and see if there is any help. From your description you may not get much help here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

5. Dushtacat

I 've read parts of that link before.
    Let me try again to say what I'm doing. Maybe someone can see what I'm doing wrong.
    1.) fireup network PC with TI 8.0 - Windows version.
    2.) image laptop c drive over the LAN to a spare drive on the pC.
    3.) Hook up new laptop drive asUSB storage on pC.
    4.) initialize with disk manager.
    5.) restore c drive image to new laptop drive hooked up as USB storage.
    6.) remove new laptop drive from PC and install on laptop.
    7.) attempty to boot.
    No go. Black screen with cursor.

6. Dushtacat

Sorry. one mistake.
    I create the image of the original laptop drive from the laptop itself using TI 8 windows. The windows version allows me to store the image on another PC via the LAN. I don't see how to acess the LAN using the cd version.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you restoring the image of the complete old disk rather than just a partition? You need the whole disk to get the MBR.

Is it being restored as an Active partition? If it isn't marked active it won't boot. I haven't done an image restore in this manner or with V8 so I don't know the specifics of what you are seeing. Maybe Chutsman can help here.

Regarding the network, can you see anything under Computers Near Me? when you click on it?

8. Dushtacat

I am restoring the complete disk marked as active.
    When I click on computers near me I get nothing. I am using a wireless connector. Perhaps the cd doesn't have the driveso_O

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dushtacat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that in order to migrate your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#30

Please download and install the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 trial which is available at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

Please create the new image within Windows, create the new bootable rescue media with the latest build of the trial version, boot the computer to the rescue mode from it and try to restore the image.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.