TI 7.0 builds >= 611: Bootable Rescue CD doesn't work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Michael99, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael99

Michael99 Registered Member

Hi,

I bought TI 7.0 some days ago via download from the Acronis website. I received build 597, which worked fine for me, especially with my external USB2/Firewire disk. The Bootable Rescue CD worked, too, with my external disk being accessible regardless of the connection type (USB2 or Firewire).

With upgrading to build 611 my trouble began...
    The Bootable Rescue CD stopped working meaning I received error messages during the boot phase ("usb.c: device unable to change address -2: (error=-110)"). TI finally starts up, but my external disk is NOT accessible regardless of the connection type (USB2 or Firewire).

In this forum I read about these kernel parameters after pressing F11 during the boot phase from the Rescue CD. Entering "acpi=off quiet" seems to solve the problem; my external disk is accessible again.
    I don't see any difference with entering "acpi=off noapic quiet". It looks as if I only need to turn ACPI off; disabeling the extended PCI interrupts with NOAPIC seems to be not necessary in my case.

Build 613 of TI 7.0 shows exactly the same behaviour as build 611.
    Build 597 still works without modifying any kernel parameters.

As a registered user I posted this 5 days ago to the Acronis Support email hoping to get a link with a downloadable .iso image with this or these parameters already set, but unfortunately I didn't receive any feedback from Acronis Support until now.

I hope to get some help in this forum.
    All I want is a working Bootable Rescue CD with TI 7.0 builds >= 611 without the need to key in modified parameters by hand.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Michael --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

As I already said in my previous posts - if you need some concrete file - please send me a private message and I'll provide you with a link to the file (.iso in this case).

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. Michael99

Hello Anton,

thanks, the private message is on its way...

Sorry for not having written you directly this way. I thought this build-related behaviour might be of interest for others. Obviously there are some changes in the Linux kernel of the TI 7.0 Rescue CD that take effect with the public build 611 and later.

Do you know how Acronis will handle this problem in later builds (>613)? Can we expect an option in the building process of a Rescue CD to disable ACPI?
    My impression is that a lot of people have a similiar problem now...

Best regards,
    Michael

4. Acronis Support

Hello Michael --

I've sent you the requested link. We are working on that matter and hopefully next builds will fix this problem.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA

5. Michael99

Hello Anton,

it took me a while to test the image you sent me as a link because I was very busy.

The result ist:

- yes, the Rescue CD you provided to me works and lets me access my external USB2/Firewire disk
    - no, it is not the current build of TI 7.0 (build 613), but a TI 6.0 build 349 Rescue CD

Assuming this was not a mistake from you, I'll prefer to continue working with TI 7.0 build 597 (which works fine on my system) until I encounter a bug that was fixed in #611 or #613.
    I've archived the #597, #611 and #613 Rescue CDs meaning I now have the choice...

If you sent me the wrong link by mistake, please provide the correct link to me. Otherwise I will wait for newer builds of TI 7.0 with this problem hopefully fixed.

Thanks,
    Michael

6. Acronis Support

Hello Michael --

Oops, my bad. I've sent you the right link.

It may be 611 build though as I don't remember if it was updated after the release of 613 one. But anyway, it's newer than your 597 build.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA

7. Michael99

Hello Anton,

thanks for the correct link!
    It's build 611 of the TI 7.0 Rescue CD and it works with my external disk!

Best regards,
    Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.