TI 11 Home - cannot access Status window from tray icon unless TI is already running

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CiaraJansonFan, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiaraJansonFan

CiaraJansonFan Registered Member

Hi,

As mentioned in another thread I am currently using the 15-day trial version to evaluate TI 11 as a replacement for Norton Save and Restore (NSR).

Firstly I should mention that I am very impressed with the performance of TI 11 so far - it is FAST when compared to NSR! NSR took around 2 hours to backup 159 Gb (when compressed that is) last Sunday. TI 11 only took 1 hour to backup 147 Gb (compressed) today - i.e. it is around TWICE AS FAST :cool:

I'm also very impressed with the bootable CD, which is also TONS faster to boot into than the equivalent Symantec Recovery Disk (and actually works, unlike the 2007 version of Symantec's disk).

I just wanted to point out a minor (but annoying) bug to Acronis, which is as follows. When a scheduled backup is running, you should be able to double-click on the tray icon OR right-click and choose 'Status'. However this doesn't work for me on either my PC or my laptop - the 'splash screen' appears but it hangs at the 'Analysing partition...' message and never actually analyses C:, D: etc. and runs True Image. You have to kill off TrueImage.exe using Task Manager :(

However if True Image is already running as an application, then you CAN check the status by double-clicking on the tray icon. As I said, just an annoyance but if it could be fixed in the next update I'd be very grateful :)

Thanks
    Steven

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CiaraJansonFan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. CiaraJansonFan

Re: TI 11 Home - cannot access Status window from tray icon unless TI is already runn

Marat,

I installed the drivers on Wednesday and could still reproduce the issue during my scheduled backup on Wednesday night with logging disabled.

I've reinstalled the drivers today with logging enabled so when tomorrow's scheduled backup runs, I will recreate the issue again and then create a support request with the files you require.

Thanks
    Steven

4. CiaraJansonFan

Re: TI 11 Home - cannot access Status window from tray icon unless TI is already runn

Hi again,

I've recreated the issue this morning on both my PC and my laptop, but I've had a few issues:

1. Neither my PC nor my laptop created any log files! I enabled logging, but no files were created in the root of C:\ and I searched my entire C: drive for files containing 'snapapi', but the only file found is the DLL file in C:\Windows\System32. I thought that maybe I should have rebooted after enabling logging, so I did that and scheduled another backup on my laptop, but still no log file was produced :(
    2. My PC backed up all my partitions successfully in an hour, but then True Image seemed to hang at the 'Saving partition structure' task. The log shows 'Trying to fix limit violation: by backup count.' followed by 10 'Archive computer .closed' messages (at 12:01), but by 12:35 it hadn't gone any further and the oldest backup still hadn't been deleted from my hard drive (full backups by the way so no consolidation required). I tried cancelling but even that didn't do anything and in the end I decided to reboot!
    3. The second time the scheduled backup ran on my laptop, I got an error message in the log:

26 Error 30/03/2008 13:35:56 Object handle is not registered.
    token="[fobject.dll]0xAF3"
    $module="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Fomatik\Backup.dll"

and although the backup completed successfully, the oldest backup didn't get deleted from my hard drive (external USB). The first scheduled backup (before I rebooted) did work OK however o_O

Thanks for your help
    Steven

5. Acronis Support

Hello CiaraJansonFan,

We are sorry for delayed response.

In this case, please collect the application log of the operation the following way:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files (the log and Windows system information file) and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. CiaraJansonFan

Hi Marat, and thanks for your reply in the middle of the night! :eek:

I've bought the full version of TI 11 this week and I'm happy to report that it doesn't suffer from the same problem - maybe it's something to do with the splash screen being a lot different in the purchased version, I don't know?

Would you be able to answer a few more questions please?

1. Should the status bar on the home page of the application update as soon as a backup completes, or does it only update every so often? It's just that last night the bar was still yellow and said 'Backup tasks: Running' a few minutes after the backup had completed. To get it to update to green I had to select a different part of the application (e.g. Management Tools) and then return to the home page.
    2. While a backup is running, the TIB file in Windows Explorer shows a size of 0 KB, and only updates to the correct size once the backup is finished. Pressing F5 doesn't update the size - the only way I have been able to view the size is by looking at the file's properties page - after going back to Windows Explorer it then does display the current size. Is this by design? I'm just used to Norton Save and Restore updating the file size as the backup is running!

Thanks again for your help
    Steven

7. Acronis Support

Hello CiaraJansonFan,

Please be aware that the Traffic light bar only changes when the interface window is reloaded, i.e., when you access a different part of the application (or close and open it again).

The size of archive isn't updated dynamically as Acronis True Image locks the file being created for most 3rd party operations to ensure the backup process isn't interfered with.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. CiaraJansonFan

Marat,

Thanks for the explanations.

Could I then suggest that in future builds, clicking the Home button again reloads the interface window and therefore refreshes the status bar? Should be quick and easy to implement I would have thought! :D

Thanks
    Steven

9. Acronis Support

Hello CiaraJansonFan,

Thank you for your suggestion. We may recommend you to post it in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. CiaraJansonFan

OK, I've done that now.

Thanks
    Steven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.