TI 11 False Warning? No backup created yet

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AJB, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJB

AJB Registered Member

Hi.

I have installed True Image 11 home. I ran it and created a backup archive on another HD. I can view the archive and it will do a successful validation on this archive. I scheduled and ran an incremental backup which also shows successful completion.

The problem is that on the True Image 11 start page it shows:

System state: Warning
    No backups have been created yet
    Result: Have no backup
    Backup tasks: Scheduled

Can anyone explain why I am getting the no backups created message after creating a backup which I can see and validate? o_O

I am running XP Home and have the latest TI files.

Thanks for any info.

Al

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

This is a goofy message. I believe you must run a scheduled backup task to get rid of it. It sounds like you did this, but only with an INC task. You may need to run a scheduled FULL.
    Someone with more info should chime in shortly.

3. AJB

AJB Registered Member

Thanks for the idea. I ran a scheduled backup and still had the goofy message. I then deleted TI and reinstalled it. Ran another backup and still get the message...

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Was your scheduled backup a FULL drive/partition backup?

5. AJB

AJB Registered Member

I backed up:

My Computer> Disks and Partitions> and 3 out of 4 partitions on the drive. (I left out the games partition).> I did not specify any files to be excluded.>then selected Create a new full backup.> I used default options.

It shows a 50GB Acronis True Image Backup Archive sitting in my second HD. And still I get the warning "No backups have been created yet." :doubt:

Al

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

It can take a complete week of scheduled backups, before the (mis)information strip will turn green and believe backups have been scheduled.

It is a 'feature' in v11 :)

Colin

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The way the TI scheduled backups warnings has been designed and the way it works in practice is a complete nonsense. The only way to treat it is to ignore it completely.
    I just hope it is removed in the next build of TI 11, not just patched but completely withdrawn.

Had a bit more thought been applied by Acronis it should have been realised that what they have come up with will, in many circumstances, give false information.
    The funny part is that someone who relies on scheduled backups will not ever see the warnings because there is no need to open the TI GUI on a routine basis.
    In the main the indications will be that a backup has not been made when it has in fact been run successfully.
    This is not dangerous, just an annoyance.
    However what is far worse and can result in actual loss is the fact that the warning system can give a false reading that scheduled backups have been run when in reality they have never been started.
    This situation is made worse by the fact that there is a real bug in TI11 which results in scheduled backups never starting automatically or failing to run sporadically.

The only sure fire way to check if your backups are up to date is to explore your backup files area for completeness. The TI logs would normally be sufficient but of course they will not record any operations that have been done from the rescue CD.

Xpilot

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have had a sudden thought about the wonky scheduler problem.

I wonder if the Windows Time Server is somehow causing TI to spin out.
    On my system I have this disabled, and as yet, (touch wood) haven't had this particular problem. XP comes with this switched on by default.

Colin

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Neat thought but I doubt it is the whole cause. When enabled AFAIK the time server is only contacted once every seven days.
    Go on. Turn on automatic time synchronisation and see what happens :doubt: .

Xpilot

10. AJB

AJB Registered Member

Well TI ran another scheduled backup last night (same settings as before) and now, this morning, the yellow bar has gone green and I have a System state normal message, scheduled backup completed sucessfully! Woohoo.

So now the warning system appears to be working as it should. As stated above, it appears to have been creating sucessful backups all along, the problem seems to be in the warning system. A false warning that a backup has not been completed is disconcerting for a new user. Thoughts of did I screw it up? is it not a proper backup archive? reinstall? customer support? return for refund?

The True Image 11 Home warning system seems messed up. After running a backup ("Congratulations sucessful backup completed!"), tells me "You have NOT created a back up!" And now that it is displaying a green and system state normal message, I have less faith that the TI11 warning system is giving me good info about anything. Definately appears to be a bug which needs to be squashed.

Thanks for the help, ideas and comments! :thumb:

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.