TI 10 Won't Recognize External USB Drive As Valid Source

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jrssol, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrssol

jrssol Registered Member

Hi, I have TI 10 Home (latest version) running on Win XP Pro with 2 external Western Digital USB 500GB hard drives connected. Both external drives work perfectly and are consistently recognized by Windows with their usual drive letters. I use one of the external drives (Drive H) as my TI backup destination and the other (Drive I) for my My Documents folder (remapped and recognized by Windows as the default My Documents folder). Both drives show up normally in the TI "Partitions Selections" screen.

The problem: I can do a data (My Documents folder) backup from Drive I to Drive H no problem, but I am unable to do a partition backup from I to H (or vice versa) -- at the end, when I hit "Proceed" I get an error/abort message and the log contains the following lines: "Can not find a partition with the path \local\hd_sign(8D399BC0)" and "No source is selected for the operation. Terminated." However, I am able to backup my main drive C as a partition to H with no problem. I would prefer to do a partition backup from I to H because it's much quicker. Any thoughts/help??

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just to get things clear, are you backing up files and folders or imaging a partition?

I've just noticed that the error message says No Source selected - What type of partition is I, primary or logical?

Can you do C to I ?

does it work from the rescue CD?

Colin

3. jrssol

jrssol Registered Member

Colin,

First of all thanks for replying/helping. I am able to do a files and folder (data/My Documents) backup from external USB I: to external USB H: w/no problem; however, it's when I attempt to do a full partition image of I: to H: that I get the error messages. The reverse is also true, i.e., I get the same error messages when I attempt to do a full partition image of H: to I:. I am, however able to do a full partition image of C: to both H: and I:

I believe that both H: and I: are primary NTFS partitions, since both were created by doing an entire disk/NTFS reformat out of the box and both have a blue bar above their names when I bring them up in the Disk Management module under Computer Management in Win XP Pro SP2. Each is the only partition on that particular USB drive.

Thanks for your help

Jim

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Jim,

I have no idea why you are getting the error because Disk/Partition imaging between two external USB drives should work. I have just tested the scenario, both from within Windows and from the Acronis boot rescue CD, without problems. Both USB HDs were reported as Primary (Active) with the only difference being, mine were FAT32 formatted. However, I'm pretty sure that the type of format makes no difference, other than TI splitting the image into 4GB chunks when saving to FAT32 disks.

Regards

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

OK, this sounds like a signal problem on the USB lines between the two USB drives since everything works between the C drive and each USB drive.

What brand of computer is this, and do you know what USB chipset is installed? (See Device Manager, USB section for information.)

How are the drives connected to the PC? (Are they on an external USB hub?, are both connected to USB ports at the rear of the PC? Have you tried other USB ports for one or both of the drives? What other USB devices are attached?)

Do both USB drives have external power supplies?

How long are the USB cables, and are they the ones supplied with the drives?

6. jrssol

jrssol Registered Member

Thanks for your help. It's a 4 yr. old Dell Dimension 4550, P4 3Ghz HT processor, 1Gb RAM, Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller -24CD.

Drives are connected directly to PC at rear of machine (not external hub). I have tried other USB ports (in front) -- problem persists. Other USB devices: Sony 830u DVD-RW, Logitech G7 mouse, and Hp photosmart 7960 printer.

Both USB drives have their own external power source/supply (i.e., they're the only items plugged into separate power strip on separate outlet). The USB cables are about 3 ft. long and are the one's supplied by WD with the drives. In all respects the USB drives work perfectly, except when attempting a partition backup from one to the other. Thanks again for any insight/help you can give.

Jim

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jrssol,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If that out of help, please do the following to provide us with additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible workaround:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep both external USB hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.