TI 10 Retention time?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KaoticChemistry, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaoticChemistry

KaoticChemistry Registered Member

All,

I recently purchased True Image 10 and am overall very happy with the product, but I have one small issue that I have a question about.

I've setup 2 backup tasks, one does a weekly full backup every Monday, the other does Weekly (really daily) differential backups Tue-Sun. I have both tasks scheduled to run every 1 week. They're both going to a network share that I've setup as a Backup Location with only 1 parameter set which is 15 total backups.

What I'm trying to do is get 2 total weeks of backups with 2 full backups, then the rest of differentals, hoping that when the next full backup is due it'll delete the oldest full backup.

However, the problem I'm having is that it will only create 8 backups total, 1 full and 7 differential. No matter how many backups I say it can create it'll never go over the 8 and I'm curious as to why.. ?

I guess I'm just not understanding exactly how the task system works...

Any insight would be much appreciated..

Thanks!

-KC

2. KaoticChemistry

3. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

KC,
    I'm guessing here, but strongly recommend that you should set up a separate Backup Location for each individual Scheduled Task you are sending to a Backup Location. I think what is happening is that your separate Tasks may be co-mingling when they arrive at the Backup Location, which doesn't explain the limit problem, other than TI might no know how to handle it.

Aside from that, I'm not clear on your separate backups, why you have two if you are backing up the same data, it seems one task, a weekly full with daily differentials, would do the same thing.

4. KaoticChemistry

How exactly would you do that since when you create the task you specifiy either a Diff or a Full, then the days the task runs. I can't see a way to make one task to do both jobs.. ?

Am I missing something on how this thing works?

:)

Thanks!

-KC

5. CatFan432

KC,
    Quick question, are your backup file names in this basic format: 2007_03_15_04_19_00_641D.TIB ? Or a name you assigned?

-CF

6. KaoticChemistry

They're what I named them:

Workstation.tib - This is the full

Then Workstation2.tib - Workstation8.tib - For the diffs

The backups seem to go just fine, except for the fact that I only get 9..

Thanks!

-KC

7. CatFan432

KC,

You might be missing how to point your task to the correct Backup Location. Look towards the top of your file tree, per the attached image, and point it there, not under the "My Computer" location. Once you point your task there, your option to name the task will be grayed out, as file naming becomes automatic at this point. As you proceed through editing or setting up your task, you should see a screen as shown in the lower half of the attached image. This is what I believe you are not seeing.

This is the default naming protocol for Backup Locations: 2007_03_15_04_19_00_641D.TIB It’s the date and time of file creation, your differentials will keep the base file name and add a counter at the end. When the number of backups reached your limits, the differentials will start consolidating, which can take a fair amount of time.

Hope this helps, if it’s still confusing on setting up Backup Locations, I’ll post a detailed text file you can download.

-CF

Attached Files:

• PS81.jpg
      PS81.jpg
      File size:
      105.1 KB
      Views:
  8. KaoticChemistry

Wow, my screen doesn't look like that at all..

Here's what I get when I go through the backup Wizard..

I'm running TI 10.0 Build 4942 - Freshly downloaded from support site. Are you running something else?

Hmmmmmmm..

-KC

Attached Files:

9. CatFan432

KC,
    We're running the same version and build. I think you're missing a step someplace.

See if the attached file helps, it's a step by step example.

Regards, CatFan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  10. KaoticChemistry

I'll give it a shot, thanks a lot for the help!

-KC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.