TI 10 forgets categories

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbdan, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbdan

dbdan Registered Member

Hi,

Acronis True Image Home Trial Version 10.0 (build 4,871)

I've found that when you call up a previously defined backup task for editing, the user defined categories that were checked when the backup task was set up now come up Unchecked. They're listed, but unchecked.

Why is this?

The categories should come up checked. After all, if I create a task to back up a user defined category, and I go back in to edit that task, then I should see the same parameters that I used to set the task up in the first place!!!!

This is not a good first impression of the software. And to add insult to injury, my trial version is going to expire in 2 days.

Before I buy it, I'd like to hear that either the problem has been fixed in the full version, or that someone is aware of it and it will be fixed.

Thanks,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Dan,
    I can't speak to any differences between the trial and full versions, but I am unable to duplicate your problem on my computer, running TI 10, release 4871. Boxes I check remain checked when the task is edited. Do you have more than one task set up and do all of them fail to remember your choices? If you have just the one, have you tried deleting the task and recreating it?

3. dbdan

dbdan Registered Member

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been able to reproduce the problem on more than 1 PC. It's very consistent.

We're talking about categories, right? Because the files and folders boxes do stay checked . It's only the category boxes that come up unchecked on an edit.

Actually, let me clarify that. File and folder boxes such as My Documents came up checked. The folders that comprise the categories were NOT checked either.

- d.

4. CatFan432

Dan,
    Yep, you're right, I wasn't looking at the categories, it doesn't work on mine either.
    -CF

EDIT: I've never looked at this feature before, but at first glance I don't see the value. Its purpose seems to be to allow a user to pick a source for files to back up and call it a category, for the life of me I can't see how that is different from creating a normal data backup of selected data. That being said, it's there, so it should work, and it certainly doesn't appear to. -CF

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  5. dbdan

dbdan Registered Member

Hypothetical: let's say a photographer / videographer has a folder tree with pictures on one drive and videos (since they take up more space) on a larger drive. To back up someone's wedding, you have to pull up files and folders from 2 sources. Simple. You define a category "Jones' wedding" and then you only have to specify where the files come from once.

IMHO the category feature was poorly implemented, and I'm not surprised it doesn't work.

6. CatFan432

I still think a standard backup is a good choice for this scenario, as you can pull data from different drives. Just an aside, I do some semi-pro photography (pro because I occasionally get paid and semi because I don't make any money at it) and would never trust my photo files to any backup program that put them all in one large backup file.

Agreed, to which you can add My E-Mail and My Application Settings. As others on this form have stated, these all seem to be marketing features that were not ready for release. I'm very interested in what the next release of version 10 will bring. IMHO these features will have continuing questionable usefulness. I wish there was an option to not install them when installing the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.