TI 10 CD Verify much slower than TI 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gbohn, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbohn

gbohn Registered Member

Hi;

I just upgraded from TI 9 (3677) to TI 10 (4942) and during testing I noticed a huge slowdown in 'Boot CD' performance.

I performed a test backup and verify across my gigabit ethernet network from my system to a Win XP Professional system (acting as the file server).

With a TI 9 Boot CD, the backup and verify stages each take about 6 minutes (with a 6.9 GB or so .TIB file being created).

When I booted the TI 10 CD and tried this, the backup stage complete in about 6 minutes, but the verify stage ran horribly slowly. After about 8 minutes, it was only about 10% completed and said it had about 1 hour and 8 minutes remaining.

Booting my TI 9 boot CD, verifying the same .TIB (on the same server), took only about 6 minutes (as I would have expected). (I was kind of surprised that the TI 9 CD could successfully verify the TI 10 image...)

I made a Bart's PE CD with TI 10, and when I boot this, the verify (of that same file on the same server) takes only 2 minutes and 42 seconds.

So, it looks like something about the TI 10 Boot CD had changed from TI 9 to cause vastly slower verify (and probably restore) performance. (This makes me think the network read stuff is somehow messed up).

Looking at the network utilization in task manager on the XP 'server' system shows that network utilization is continuous, just very low (about 0.75 - 1.0 %) most of the time. I see a few short bursts to 15% or so, but nothing sustained.

Using Bart's PE I get close to 44% utilization (of the Gigabit network).

My system has an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard (NForce 4 chipset), and an AMD X64 X2 4400+ dual core CPU.

As a side issue, the performance backing up to a USB 2 attached hard drive is abysmal in both TI 9 and TI 10 CD boot environments (and much much faster from a Bart's PE environment...)

At any rate, is this a known issue, or is this somehow related to my system type?

Thanks;

-Greg

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Nice documentation of the problem. It has been reported before and seems to be system/hardware dependent. Apparently, the Linux drivers were changed between versions 9 and 10 with the result that some people are seeing what you see.

As you reported, the BartPE disk seems to be the best solution.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gbohn,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It's possible that some your system isn't very well supported by some Linux drivers used by Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Boot the computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, remove the "quiet" parameter and wait for # prompt to appear;
    - Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    asamba dhcp -n > asa_dhcp.txt
    asamba masters > asa_mast.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt, asa_dhcp.txt, asa_mast.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the USB drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please collect the exact vendor and device names of the network card and external drives you use.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. gbohn

gbohn Registered Member

I booted with the acpi=off noapic" option and that seemed to help (I just tried a quick verify and haven't yet tried a backup with those options).

I didn't need to use this option on the TI 9 Boot CD, for what that's worth.

I entered a problem report and included the net.txt and sysinfo.txt results (from a system where I just did a straight TI 10 boot without the acpi/noapic options).

I got zero length files for the asa_dhcp.txt and asa_mast.txt for some reason, so I had no results for those.

Thanks;

-Greg

5. gbohn

gbohn Registered Member

Oops, forgot to mention (even in the problem report) that I am using the NForce-4 attached Gigabit NIC built into the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard.

Thanks;

-Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.